Chapter 1- What am I?

AN:(This is my first story that I'm publishing so go easy on me. Also, I don't own Harry Potter, (that goes to J.K Rowling) I just own this storyline. It's going to be from Harry's POV unless said otherwise. 

Harry was packing up his trunk getting ready to go back to the Dursley's. They weren't the best of people but they didn't torture him and it's better than being in an orphanage, even if he's treated like a house-elf. He doesn't like him going there but there is nothing he can do right now because he isn't of age yet. 

Towards the end of the year, all of the fourth years learned that they could come into their inheritances during the summer. It's said that only the most powerful of witches and wizards get inheritances so there are only a few per year that actually get one, and when they do they are usually small animals like ferrets, cats, weasels or beetles. The more powerful the wizard the bigger the animal, like phoenixes, Thunderbird, and even griffins have been recorded. It was said that Albus Dumbledore had a fire phoenix inheritance.

With some of the bigger inheritances like phoenixes, there can be different species of the inheritance, there are four different phoenixes; shadow, ice, fire, and light. Then there are the rarest of inheritances, they are dragons and basilisks. It is said that Merlin had a dragon inheritance and Salazar Slytherin was a basilisk. While there is only one type of basilisk, there are multiple dragons, there are more dragon types than phoenixes, eight to be exact, they are; fire, ice, earth, nature, lightning, air, dark, and light. It's said that dragons are the most powerful of inheritances, with basilisks, being a close second. 

Harry didn't think that he was going to be getting an inheritance, and he's not even sure if he even wants to get one, he doesn't want any more attention than he does doing the boy-who-lived, winning the tournament and claiming Voldemort to be back. So Harry is content with the thought that he won't be getting an inheritance so he finishes packing and starts heading to the Great Hall for the final feast. 

On the way to the Great Hall Harry ran into Draco Malfoy. Harry has always had a slight crush on Malfoy, he found out he was gay during the fourth year but hasn't come out yet. He never thought that Draco could ever return his feelings so he put on a small glare and walked past. As he was going he bumped into Draco on accident so he quickly let out a little "Sorry." 

"Watch where you're going, Potter." Malfoy all but spat.

"Merlin, it was an accident calm down Malfoy."

"Maybe you wouldn't be in this situation if you weren't so damn clumsy, Potter." and at that Malfoy walked into the Great Hall and went to the Slytherin table. 

Harry shook off the bad vibes he got and headed to where Ron and Hermione were. "Hey guys," Harry said and sat down on the right of Hermione.

"Hi, Harry," Hermione said and then went back to her latest book, which looked to be about inheritances, interesting. 

"Hey mate," Ron replied from across the table with that looked like a mutton leg in his mouth, spilling pieces all over. 

"Merlin Ron, could you ever eat with at least a little bit of manners, you're spilling food everywhere and I don't want to ruin my new book!" Hermione chastised, in which Ron just shrugged his shoulders and went back to his food. "I'm sorry about Ron, Harry, I try to get him to eat cleaner but I could never get to him."

"Hey, its ok 'Mione, Ron is Ron and I don't think he's going to change anytime soon. No matter how hard you try."

"Yeah, I think you're right. So, do you think that you'll be getting an inheritance over the summer?"

"I don't think I'm going to be getting one 'Mione, I'm not sure if I even want one."

"What do you mean you don't want one mate, inheritances are so cool, I would kill to get one, even if it's like a weasel or something small like that, at least I would get some boost in power because of it," Ron stated incredibly with a dumb look on his face.