Chapter 21 - Meeting the Family

Start from the beginning

"You're lovelier than in the pictures. Oh please, come in, come in! Ruth and Nicola are both inside, so you can meet them. Lunch will be shortly ready," she informs and urges us to walk inside, Liam is carrying our stuff. "As we have quite a few guests I hope you don't mind sharing room with Liam," she tells me and my eyes widen in shock.

"What?" I gasp and she laughs. This scene reminds me too much of that film, The Proposal, when Margaret and Andrew go to visit his grandma.

"Oh, we are not old fashioned, don't worry, Belle. We all know how things work nowadays, so it's completely fine with us."

I only blink in shock and horror until I feel Liam's arm on my shoulders, pulling me towards him. "I told you, Belle, my parents are very understanding," he laughs and I look at him with desperation written in my face.

He laughs.

I'm literally dragged upstairs, to Liam's room, which now we will share and I still can't react to that, not even Liam's amused expression can shake the shock off. "Belle, relax," he tells me, grabbing my shoulders. "I won't do anything you don't want, okay? I'll even sleep on the floor if it freaks you out that much," he offers and I react a bit, making air come in my lungs because I've been holding my breath until now. "Relax," he repeats.

I take deep breaths and try to calm down. It's not a big deal, right? I was just shocked to know I'll have to share room with Liam tonight. But it'll be fine, it's not like he's a hungry wolf or anything. I don't have a reason to react like this. It'll be fine, it'll be completely okay.

"Right, it's not a big deal," I agree and he smiles widely, his arm around my shoulders again, pulling me next to him as we walk outside the room. Due to the surprise, I didn't even pay attention to it, but it's a big and very Spartan room, with few decorations, mostly awards he's won, I assume.

By the time we join the rest of his family I'm composed and I can interact normally with them. They are all very kind and friendly, and they are all grateful because we are here. Ruth takes me away for a moment and hugs me tightly, thanking me over and over again because everyone had tried to convince Liam to come, they had even accepted he wouldn't join them and she was really sad about it, so when he called to say we were coming they couldn't believe it. She also tells me that it's been months, almost a year since Liam visited them and that shocks me to a new level. Out of the blue I promise her that I will try to make him visit more often.

After lunch it's time to start getting ready, I also meet Arthur who is a lovely man, a bit shy but a gentleman nonetheless. We all have to go to the place they booked for the rehearse dinner party to make sure things are going fine and when it's almost time, Liam and I try to go back home to get ready. His sisters have an appointment with a hairdresser and ask me to go with them, but I tell them it's okay, I can take care of myself.  But they insist and insist so I agree to let them take me to get my hair done, and also my nails. They just want to get to know me better, I tell myself.

It's funny, because they are all so friendly and chatty, and I know they make Liam feel embarrassed, but I like it. They are so lively, like a family should be, and that gives him more humanity, even if he looks annoyed at the hairdresser as we get our nails done and Ruth tells me about all her plans for the wedding. I do love weddings, or at least all the planning, so I even make some suggestions when we discuss it and they are delighted.

"You should've come before and help me!" Ruth comments sitting next to me as we get our nails done.

I just laugh because I can't tell them I was hired just a month ago, instead of the time Liam has told the media.

After that is done, Liam and I finally go home where we will get dressed because we left our outfits there. The day is quite chilly and the night surely will feel colder, but the room they booked is really nice and we will be fine inside.

"You seem to get on with my family perfectly," he says from inside his room when I'm in the bathroom, putting on my dress.

"They are lovely," I say, and I really mean it. "I like them."

I'm struggling a bit with the zipper at the back so when I realise I really can't completely pull it up, I go out holding my dress tightly to my chest. Liam turns immediately to see me and his eyes show surprise and delight when he sees me, his mouth even opens a bit. He looks dashing himself but I try not to stare at him in the same way he is staring at me.

"I um, I'm having problems with the zipper. Could you help me out?" I ask, turning around to expose my back. He walks towards me and zips it up, his fingers brushing my skin slowly. "Thank you," I say, turning around to face him again. He doesn't step back so we are really close.

"You look beautiful," he says and I smile grateful, a bit flustered due to the proximity. "That dress really suits you," he adds.

"Thank you. Havi helped me to pick it," I tell him and I take a step back. The room suddenly feels really small and really hot, especially when his eyes are so intense on me. "It was quite easy this time, we didn't take long to find it."

"I wish I had been with you, I wanted it to be my present," he says and I smile shaking my head.

"It's okay, you don't have to worry. I was going to pay for it, but she insisted that it had to be the company. After all, it's in the contract that they take care of these expenses," I say offhandedly but Liam's expression changes, it becomes cold. "So really, don't worry, this is how it has to be."

"Belle," he calls but I ignore him and walk past him to go for my purse and coat.

"Really, it would be unfair if you pay for a dress when it's part of the contract that the label has to deal with that. I mean, you invite me to these events, something that's a family thing, so I think that's more than enough."

"Belle," he calls again, this time more serious, almost as a warning. I turn to look at him and his eyes are really cold, he even looks angry.

I smile at him. "Let's go? You're ready, right? Your family must be waiting and we came for them after all," I remind him and I'm not sure why I'm acting like this, ignoring his call when it's clear he wants to say something. It's just that I have a feeling I don't want to hear what he has to say.

"Belle, you'll never let that go, will you? That you signed a contract to be with me," he clarifies and I swallow the sudden lump in my throat, especially when he walks up to me with this serious expression.

"Why would I? It's not like I can forget about it and confuse things, right? That's not professional and I might not be an actress, but I like following certain rules. You said you wanted something easy without complications, so isn't this the best for the both of us?" I inquire and he takes a sharp breath, I even notice he clenches his fists at his sides.

"That's not exactly what I meant," he says, a mere whisper.

"It's okay, really. Don't worry about nonsense. Let's just carry on," I say and turn around, putting on my coat and walking towards the door. I know Liam is not following me yet, but I think it's good. I can feel his eyes glaring daggers at me from behind and I know he is pissed, so it's best to put some distance between us so he can cool off before we go to the party. I don't want to fight with him now or anything, so it's wiser if I wait for him in the car or the living room, at least.

Yes, this is for the best.