fifth

She was shaking, and you could see it from a distance. "No. Not at all." Draco breathed, staring at the girl. She nodded and stood there awkwardly. It had been a crazy 6 days they had spent together, but this was the cherry on top. "I'm going to shower. Uhm.. change and get comfy. I'll be back soon." Draco instructed, his voice shaky. He was unsure of what to do. Hermione nodded, smiling softly. Draco disappeared into his bathroom and looked at himself in the mirror.

Hermione changed out of her jeans, slipping the sweatpants back on. She slowly sat down on the opposite side of Draco's, pulling the sheets up and over her legs. Draco came out a few minutes later, just in a pair of loose boxers. He walked over and sat on his side, pulling the covers over himself too. They pair sat in silence, just listening to each other breathe. "Is there something wrong with your room?" Draco asked slowly, looking over at Hermione. "I just... i'm afraid of the dark." she said softly, looking down at her hands. "Hermione Granger! Afraid of the dark?!" Draco exclaimed playfully, smiling in satisfaction when he hears her giggle. The awkwardness melted between them, and it couldn't have felt better for them. "Quite silly, isn't it?" she asked, looking at him.

"There's a reason." Hermione says, laying down. Draco turned on his side, facing her. He supported his head with his hand, the same elbow propped him up. "Is there?" he asked. Hermione turned only her head, admiring his features. "I can't believe I'm saying this. I haven't told anyone." she admits, rubbing her face. "Well, why not?" he asked curiously, moving her hand off of her face. She looked at the skin contact, and smiled at the beauty of it together. "It's childish." she finally breathed, returning her eyes to his. "If it's a fear, it's not childish." he whispered.

Hermione nodded and took a deep breath in and out. "Ever since the war, I've had awful nightmares. Just horrid. They consist of anything that pains me deeply. For example, when Harry told me he was going to give himself up to Voldemort, my entire soul shattered. He's my best friend, and I loved him. I wasn't in love with him, but I loved him. And... no offense... the day in second year when you first called me a-" Draco's eyes shut and his entire face turned into guilt. "Don't say it." he whispered. "Please." he begged, opening his eyes back up.

She nodded, understanding. "Things like that. They've haunted me for years now, and they won't leave me alone. I have one at least every night. Sometimes more than one. So that's why I'm afraid of the dark. I'm afraid of the haunting memories that live within it." she finished, not breaking eye contact once. "Hermione...that's... that's awful. I'm so sorry." Draco was at a loss of words. He didn't know that someone so strong, so courageous as Hermione could be so hurt. "I swear to you, Granger, no one is going to hurt you. Not anymore." Draco assured her, running the back of his fingers down her left cheek. "I believe you." she whispered, putting her own fragile hand on his.

Neither of the two had ever slept more peacefully in their whole life. Hermione didn't have a night terror, and Draco didn't twist and turn. They laid how they fell asleep, hands lightly touching. They slept quite late, past 9. Draco woke first, a little startled to see Hermione lay so close to him. He admired how peaceful she looked while she slept. Her skin was smooth, free of worry lines and scars. Her cheeks were a faint rosy color, and her little freckles showed through. Her lips were barely parted, but her lips. They were a marvel to Draco. They looked so warm, so soft, so inviting. He smiled at the sleeping girl and placed a small kiss on her forehead.

He froze at his own action, chuckling ever so softly at himself. He moved carefully out of bed and downstairs. The storm had ceased, and suddenly Draco was upset. He walked quickly to the front doors and saw the streets flooded. The streets would drain in a day or so, and Hermione would leave. His heart began to ache, and he pressed his knuckles against his chest. Silently begging for the pain to stop. You were fine before her, you'll be fine after her, he told himself. But it was a lie, he knew it was. He needed to tell her soon before-

"Draco! It's stopped raining!" Hermione exclaimed from the top of the stairs. He turned and looked at her, her huge smile made him break into his own. "So it has." he said solemnly, looking back out the window. "Sleep well?" he asked Hermione once she was standing beside him. "I did." she confirmed, smiling softly. They were standing much closer than they would've a week ago, and their hands brushed at their sides. Draco turned, Hermione turning to face him. He brought his hand up to her cheek, moving her hair out of his way. He leant in towards her ear and grinned as he watched her neck get goosebumps. "Now you can tell everyone you've slept with Draco Malfoy." he teased.

"Oh, you-" she shoved him hard off of her, and he laughed loudly. "You're the worst." she said quickly, her face red. She stormed off to the kitchen as he followed her, a small chuckle escaping. "So... when are you going to leave?" he asked her over toast. "Eager to see me leave that fast, are we?" Hermione asked. Draco looked up quickly. "No! No, no, no... I just... no." Draco settled on a plain no, unsure how on Earth he was supposed to say such a thing. Hermione smiled softly at how quick he was to dismiss her leaving.

It did leave her wondering. Last night was the first night she had slept without the nightmares, and they had really started to open up to each other. She wasn't sure if she even wanted to leave his home. "How soon do you wish me out?" she asked him after he had stayed silent. "Whenever you feel, and whenever it's safe." Draco told her, getting up to clean his plate. "I'll be writing." he grumbled, disappearing into his room.

Although the pair had spent a wonderful night together, they spent the day away from each other. Draco had locked himself in his room, claiming that he was writing. Instead, he sat in his desk chair and watched the water subside on the street. Hermione sat in the library all day, reading away her issues and feelings. It had only been a week, why was she wishing she could stay forever?

The two didn't speak at dinner, and Draco asked to not have a lesson tonight. "There's no point." he told her, picking at his food. She was hurt, but nonetheless, listened. They watched nightly television that night, and Hermione had so much she wanted to say. Draco just suddenly picked himself off of the couch, and disappeared again into his room. That was the final straw for the poor girl, and silent sobs began to rack her body. She cried on the first night, she was crying on the last. Logan walked up to her, placing his head in her lap. She laughed softly, petting his head. "I'm going to miss you." she whispered. Suddenly, she remembered a promise Draco had made to her last night.