~ T H I R T Y - O N E ~

"No, I'm serious

"No, I'm serious. Thank you."

Keefe had replayed what Sophie had said that day over and over in his mind. He had memorized the way her hands had fidgeted with the hem of her tunic, the way her cheeks reddened ever so slightly when she thanked him.

The memory made Keefe feel proud of himself, which was a rare triumph.

And Keefe would never forget the emotion that had hit him as Sophie walked away, although he still hadn't figured out what it was yet.

Nevertheless, Keefe was even happier the day he found out that he and Sophie would be staying behind at Havenfield.

Alone. Together.

It only added to Keefe's mood.

Maybe that was why he had felt so crushed when he'd witnessed Sophie and Fitz kissing.

He'd been looking everywhere in Havenfield for Sophie. One minute she'd been outside training, and the next she was nowhere to be seen. Keefe had torn the house apart looking for her.

Until he ended up in the living room.

Where Fitz and Sophie were basically eating each other's faces.

All of Keefe's hopes, all of the dreams where he'd seen himself and Sophie were gone.

Crushed. Dead. Unachievable.

He'd thought he had found someone he could trust. Someone he could count on.

Right up until that moment.

And that was when he'd realized the cold, hard truth.

He and Sophie couldn't be together.

She was the Black Swan's secret weapon, made to work for them and them only.

As for himself, well, Keefe couldn't betray his own mother, the only person in his life who had at least shown him a little bit of love, for some girl who had already broken his trust.

Keefe vowed to himself to stop with this nonsense. Even if Sophie had wanted to, there was no way their relationship could have worked out.

And crying over his broken heart wouldn't change anything.

He was here for one sole purpose: to give the Neverseen the upper hand in the war.

And to most definitely not fall in love with the enemy.

Namely, Sophie Foster.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, you guessed it! Another 3 am work :))

aw keefe, my poor baby. i wanna give him a hugggg

aLsO

i wrote a new book. it's finished, thanks to many nights where i couldn't sleep. check it out!: its called "before sophie"

thanks for reading <333

ily

- riya

Chapter written 5/25/20