Chapter Eight: The End of An Era

Shira lay in bed, staring up at the ceiling, thoughtful. She is thinking, about nothing and about everything. Trying her hardest to ignore the throbbing pain in her chest, she sighed. "Happy Death Day, mother." She said to no one in particular, in her hand she held the last remaining picture of her family. She slowly let out a breath she did not know she'd been holding as the pain in her chest receded, her 10-hour torture session finally over. "Shira." A knock sounded at the door. She sat up, wincing slightly at how sore her body is. "The door's not locked." Dazai walked in, holding a cup of water. She took it gratefully. "Are you okay?" He sat down beside her. She nodded. "Yeah, it's over already. It's much more bearable this time." He smiled in relief. "Good, because the director wants us both at the Agency for a meeting." She sighed, stretching slightly. "Is it because of whatever Ranpo-san brought back from that challenge?" She asked, thinking back to the file Ranpo brought back. "Bingo." Dazai snapped his fingers. "It apparently contains useful information about the Guild, divulged by one of their members. So we need to plan." He stood up, holding out his hand. She took it, allowing him to pull her up. "And I'm needed because?" He smirked at her, pushing her gently out the door. "You are required so we don't crash and burn."

"We are here to plan Kyouka's entrance test." Shira's eyes widened at Dazai's words. She shot him a dirty look. "I thought we were here to plan for the Guild's demise." Ranpo sighed from across the table. "Yes, Shira. It's one and the same." He took out a file and handed it to Dazai. "Here are the information acquired." Dazai flipped through it slowly. "This is some impressive Intel. It's valuable." He handed the file to Shira, allowing her to read it. "Use it however you like. I don't really care." Ranpo said dismissively, shaking the packet of sour candy in his hand. "I already got my reward." Shira flipped through the file, focusing on the members that she didn't get to meet. "Shira, are you listening?" She looked up, blinking. "Uh sorry, I blanked out." Dazai sighed. "You need to listen, Shira. We need you so everything goes to plan." She nodded slowly, keeping the papers. "I'm all ears." "So Kyouka-chan is currently inside a plane made to contain dangerous gifteds, and our plan, is for her to somehow crash the Moby Dick." Shira stared at Dazai incredulously. "What?" Dazai sighed. "It's the only way for her to truly be a part of the Agency, Shira. Trust me." She sighed, rubbing her temples. "Then why am I here?" Dazai smirked at her. "Because if she doesn't, you'll have to make sure the Moby Dick doesn't reach the city." She groaned. "Thanks, Dazai, crashing a flying warship is totally on my bucket list. So glad I could do it." He grinned cheekily at her. "You're welcome, darling," He then turned to Ranpo. "Where will it end? At the mountains?" Ranpo cocked his head to the side. "No, at sea." He looked at Shira solemnly. "Shira, the Moby Dick cannot reach land, understand?"
"Do you still need me?" Shira asked Dazai, who is currently lounging casually on his chair. He looked at her confused. "Don't you want to be here for Atsushi's briefing?" She pursed her lips. "Sadly, I have... an important phone call to wait for." He frowned. "What for?" Her fist clenched under the table. "I need to know if my past has come back to haunt me." With that, she left the room, only sparing a small smile for Atsushi as they crossed paths. Going back to her desk, she sat there silently, staring at her phone without a word. The moment her phone rang, she picked it up, accepting the call with slightly shaking hands. "Kanjima." There was rustling on the other side. "Shira. He's back, here in Yokohama." She froze, eyes widening. Falling back on her chair, she let out a shuddering breath. "So, I really saw him that day. It was really Dostoevsky." She gripped her armrest tightly. "He doesn't know you, does he?" She scowled. "I hope not. If he tries anything, tell me. He might be a glorious Master to my bastard father, but he is just the man who ruined my family to me." She winced as her heart throbbed at all the resurfaced memories. "Kanjima, how about the file I sent you just now, did you get it to him?" He chuckled. "Of course I did. But he told me he got a similar file from a coworker. Someone called Hirotsu." Her eyes widen in realization before she chuckled softly. "Of course he has. Don't worry about it." A short silence. "Shira, be careful. You are tied to a very dangerous man." She stared off to a distance, eyes cold. "You too, Kanjima. Be careful, and don't worry. If it comes down to it, I'll kill the Devil himself if I have to." She sighed tiredly. "Kanjima, I just... can't bear to lose anyone anymore. Knowing his plan, if he succeeds, I'll... lose everyone." With that, she hung up.