Chapter 4: Reconciliation and A New Start

Four years later, now executive Chuuya waited patiently outside the interrogation room, lips pursed as scream after scream of agony rang out. The room swung open to reveal one blood-splattered Shira. She cleaned herself thoroughly, unaffected by the sheer amount of blood on her. "The package is in a warehouse at the industry district." She handed him a paper, the address written neatly on it, before walking away. "Wait!" Chuuya yelled at her retreating figure. She stopped, looking back with questioning eyes. "Do you want me to drink with you later?" He said hesitantly. She forced a smile. "It's been four years shorty, I... took the day off to visit him... Odasaku." His eyes widened. "Oh." Chuuya let out a sigh of relief. Finally, after four years of silent grieving, Shira decided to visit her dead friend, instead of drinking herself to the point of blackout. His eyes darkened as a certain suicidal maniac came to mind. Dazai has been sighted on the streets again and he is certain that Shira knows about it, but she didn't say anything about it, which means... "She's sad again." A voice rang out from behind him. Chuuya turned around quickly, surprised to find Akutagawa with his arm in a sling. "Akutagawa." He greeted, staring questioningly at his arm. "Shira sparred with you again?" Akutagawa shifted uncomfortably. "This morning. You should make sure she is okay." Chuuya looked at the body coming out of the interrogation room, cringing at how badly beaten it is. "I will."
Shira walked towards the grave slowly, her heart growing heavier with every step she took. She stopped and stood in front of the familiar gravestone, the bouquet of flowers in her hand feeling heavier than usual. She placed down the flowers solemnly before sitting down beside the grave. Tendrils of fire neatly trimmed the grass around the grave. "Long time, old friend. Please forgive me for taking four years to come and see you. I just didn't have the courage to face the memories that came with it. I hope you didn't miss me too much." She chuckled sadly, taking out a small bottle of whiskey. "The one thing I regretted was not going drinking with you. So I'll do it now." She downed the bottle in two big gulps, coughing as the whiskey scorched her throat. "I finally learned to like whiskey. Not because of the taste." She laughed bitterly. "It's just the only type of alcohol I can swallow that can knock me out, drowns the memories too." She leaned on the gravestone, tears trickling down her cheeks. "The day you left, I lost Dazai too. I almost killed myself out of grief. After four years, I think I figured it out." She smiled sadly at the sky. "You probably said something to him, right?" She paused as if waiting for an answer. "Thank you, Odasaku. Really. If he'd stay, I don't know what I'll do if he actually turned into the heartless prodigy Mori wanted." Her voice is cracking by now. "Do you know I'm a hired mercenary? My contract ended two years ago. I stayed in the Port Mafia because I have family there, but as soon as Natsume-sama calls in his favor, I might have to leave. I might have to join some random organization, or worse, the Special Abilities Department." She runs her right hand through her hair, her long sleeve dropping down to reveal a series of dark, pulsing slashes. She casually covered it up, eyes saddened. "You know, Odasaku, I got these... living tattoos when I was grieving, I overused my abilities and my entire body was breaking apart. I managed to push it all to my right arm, but it's staying there... permanently." She sighed. "I was so sad, not because he left. Heck, I have no right to be mad at him for leaving since I might be doing the same. I was sad because, he didn't even bother to inform Chuuya or me of his decision. I thought we mattered to him, I guess not."

Shira's phone beeped twice, snapping her out of her trip down the memory lane. "Look at the time, I have laundry to pick up. Goodbye, Odasaku, I'll... see you next year." She stood up and sighed. "Chuuya, I know you're there." A figure stepped out from behind the tree. She stared at him numbly. "You heard everything?" He sighed, pulling her into a hug. "You've done more than enough for the Mafia, Shira. I won't blame you because... you were never obliged to stay." She froze before tears started to well up. "Thank you, Chuuya. It means a lot... I have to go now." Chuuya watched her leave before turning to the tree. "You can come out now." He said coldly. Dazai walked out, eyes filled with guilt. "I didn't know..." He started, but Chuuya cut him off. "You are four years late, Dazai, now leave. I don't want to talk to you." Dazai quickly grabbed him. "Please listen to me. Please." Chuuya shook him off, snapping back. "Why should I?" Dazai pursed his lips. "Because I made a mistake and I want to fix it." Chuuya sighed. "Fine. For old time's sake." Dazai smiled. "The park?" Chuuya rolled his eyes. "Whatever."