Chapter Five: New Responsibilities

"Shira, what kind of snack is this?" Ranpo looked through the tons of foreign snacks in one of Shira's many boxes. She looked back, smiling lightly. "That's sour candy, from America. I used to go there a lot on my... previous job." Ranpo chewed on one, eyes lighting up. "Wow, these are really good." She grinned. "I know right." Ranpo looked at her smiling. "You got them from those Mafia shipments you monitor overseas, right?" She froze before laughing awkwardly. "It's okay, the director told us everything." Said Yosano from across the room. "Though it's really cool that you don't actually have any criminal records, else we'll have so much more paperwork to do." Shira smiled sheepishly, placing the last book onto her new desk. Kunikida walked in, holding a pile of files. Shira walked towards him, taking half the stack. "Thank you, Shira. I saw Atsushi at the dormitories just now, acting weird. Do you have any clue what's going on?" Shira raised her eyebrow before shaking her head. "I have not seen him here. Isn't Dazai suppose to be looking for him?" Kunikida scoffed in annoyance. "That bandage-wasting machine never does anything right." Shira sweatdropped at that statement, even in a different workplace, Dazai still aggravates his partner.

Suddenly, the door swung open, revealing the Port Mafia's famous Battle Division. "Hirotsu-san!" Shira cried out in surprise. He pursed his lips at the sight of her. "Shira, I see you have gotten yourself a new job." She smiled sheepishly. Kunikida's eyes widened as the entire squad drew out their semi-automatics. "What?!" Hirotsu chuckled at him. "My apologies, I forgot to make an appointment beforehand. I even forgot to knock." He signaled to the squad. "Please don't mind us. We will finish our business very soon." Kunikida snarled. "Shira, protect the employees." She nodded, quickly throwing up shadow shields around them as the squad started firing. The cocoons of shadows seemed to swallow the bullets fired at the non-ability user employees. She watched with interest as the others quickly took out the entire squad effortlessly. Damn, they are good, she thought, smiling to herself; maybe life won't be as boring as she thought.

"Stop it!" Atsushi rushed into the office, panic clear in his eyes before he was struck dumb at the scene before him. People donned in black suits laid everywhere, obviously fainted, along with bits of debris and broken glass. "Atsushi-kun... you okay?" He turned to see Shira, holding a broom and dustpan, eyes filled with worry. "I'm... fine." She smiled comfortingly, patting his head before going back to sweeping bullet cases off the floor. Kunikida looked up from the other side of the room. "Oh, you're back. Hurry and help us tidy up!" He stomped over, eyes gleaming. "Who would disappear without a word like you? You see what a mess you've left us with?!" Kenji stood up, holding up a body. "What do I do with these, Kunikida-san?" He pointed at the window before taking out his notebook, flipping through it furiously. "This is why I hate raids. It throws off the operation budget." He sighed, adjusting his glasses. "But this isn't too bad. We're pretty used to it." Atsushi stood there with a blank look in his eyes. Compared to the Port Mafia, he thought, the Agency is even more terrifying! "Ranpo-san, you are going to that murder? Please take Atsushi with you." He looked at the frozen Atsushi, rolling his eyes. "Hoi, stop spacing out and make some preparations." Kunikida shook him lightly, only to find him laughing hoarsely, with tears in his eyes. Kunikida, being Kunikida, blinked twice before asking him. "Are you crying?" Somewhere in the room, Shira facepalmed. Atsushi quickly wiped away his tears. "I'm not crying." "You're not?" Somewhere in the room, Shira facepalmed again. "I'm not." "Are you crying?" "I am!"

"Kunikida, you are so insensitive." Shira chided softly, throwing away the last of the debris. "Someone has to keep everyone in check and the Agency running smoothly." Kunikida adjusted his glasses, taking out a file. "It says here you are a trained mercenary, so I guess this is the job for you." He handed her the file. "It's a request for a bodyguard for an important court witness." She flipped through the file. "My, my, first job and you are already making me go against a Mafia level boss. How cruel, Kunikida." His eyes widened before shaking his hands violently, face steaming red. "I don't mean to... I mean... It's a coincidence..." Shira laughed merrily at his reaction before heading out. "I'm only teasing. See you." Yosano smirked from the corner of the room. "Kunikida-kun, you look like a tomato." Kunikida glared at her. "Shut up."
"So, you are a new member of the Agency, huh?" The officer in charge looked at her carefully, with the slightest bit of contempt. "You don't look like much." Shira resisted the urge to punch him, hard. "I'm Shira, a trained mercenary. I assure you, I'm more than how I look." She stated coldly, not bothering to mask her annoyance. The officer froze under her glare, before coughing awkwardly. "T-The witness is up for testifying in 10 hours. He is inside the room. I'll come to get him later." She nodded stiffly before entering the room. "Good day, Mr. Subasa." The man looked up with fearful eyes. "Please take care of me. I'm testifying against a very powerful man." Shira smiled reassuringly at him, picking up a novel. "Don't worry, I'll make sure you make it to court.