Chapter 5

Halloween has finally arrived. We were all running around getting the candy together and making cookies. We are the only family I know that gave out candy and cookies. Ever since Mom died, Haley took us trick-or-treating.

"Alright guys, be careful, and please, please, please, please, don't eat the candy until I get to inspect it, okay?"

"We know, Dad." We all said at the same time as we left the house.

We stopped to trick or treating around 10:00 p.m. to get a good look at what goodies we got.

"I got a bunch of Kisses." Haley said.

"Oh cool, Reese's." Miranda squealed.

"I got some M&M's, both kinds, I gotta couple of Hershey bars, those are Dad's favorite, I'll give it to him when we get home."

"Well, you're gonna have to give it to him in the morning, he'll be sleep when we go back."

"Aren't we going home now?" Asked Miranda.

"No, we're going to Michelle's party."

"But Haley, Daddy banned you, and you agreed to that." I said.

"I know that, Roxanne, but I'm tired of being in his shadow all the time. I want to have fun with my friends. Dad said we have to be home by midnight, right."

"Right." Miranda said questionally.

"So, we go to the party, stay until 11:30 or 11:45, then go back home, and I'll sneak out when Dad goes to sleep."

"No, I won't be a part of this, I'm going to tell Daddy right now." I said.

"Look, both of you are coming with me, whether you like it or not." Haley said while taking us by the hand.

"I have a bad feeling about this, Haley." I said while trying to get out of her grip.

"Me too." Miranda whispered.

"You guys worry too much, let's go."