Part Two / Chapter Two

alright y'all. I'm gonna preface this chapter with a bit of a disclaimer. I usually try to steer clear of writing about dance because the last time I was a dancer was almost ten years ago. I'm relying on my limited memory and google searches to pull me through writing about dance. so don't kill me if I did something wrong. enjoy! :)

~~~~~

Marlee's POV
"You're here early," I comment to Ben, walking into the rehearsal room.

"I could say the same about you." He's stretching in front of the mirror. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to stretch, like you," I reply, dropping my bag at the door and walking to the center of the room.

He smiles. "I didn't get a chance to tell you last night, but you're getting really good at the choreography for King of New York. I'm proud of you, MJ."

"You know, Katherine's part isn't too hard. I haven't tapped in years, so I'm a little rusty. It feels good to be dancing again." I stand up straight from stretching my legs, and walk over to Ben. I wrap my arms around him from behind, resting my chin on his shoulder. "Good morning."

He smiles. "It is a good morning," he replies, turning and kissing my cheek.

"I did not sign up to see you two kiss this early," Sky mumbles as he walks through the door, a few boys trailing behind him. "So please, tone it down."

I grin, rolling my eyes. "We were just stretching."

Josh walks into the room. "Hey, Marlee, you're really getting the choreography down."

"Well, I was a dancer in high school, so it's all coming back to me. I bet, if I tried, I could do some of the Newsie jumps," I say.

"Those are harder than you think," Sky argues. "It takes a lot of practice."

"And sometimes a lot of injuries," Josh chimes in.

"I think I could do it if I tried," I say, crossing my arm.

"Okay, let's see it. Do a grand jeté, I want to see that," Ben says with a small grin.

I nod, heading to a corner to give myself room. I stretch my legs a little more as the boys watch. I get a running start and leap into the air, not getting the height I want to. "Let me try again," I say. I was never really good at these when I took ballet.

"Point your toes more," Josh offers, leaning against the wall.

Sky nods. "And don't think too much about it. You'll stress yourself out and end up being too tense."

I try again, getting more height this time, and I land the jump. "Tada." I throw my hands up in the air like a gymnast after she finishes her routine.

The boys clap. "Try something harder!" Someone calls.

Ben walks over. "Try doing this." He executes the grand jete almost perfectly, adding a spin at the end. "We'll build off of that."

I do as Ben showed me, landing the jump and performing the spin. "How's that?"

"Nice," Sky nods, impressed. "Try getting more height!"

"I don't know if I can, but I'll try." I back up into the corner again, trying the jump once more. This time, when I jump, I don't push off the ground correctly; something's wrong. Before I have time to react, my feet hit the floor, and my right ankle buckles underneath me, causing pain to shoot through my leg. I fall to the floor, holding my foot. The boys shout, quickly surrounding me.

"Marlee!" Ben crouches on the floor next to me. "Are you okay?"

"I landed on my ankle wrong," I manage to get out. "It-it hurts." I try not to focus on the pain.

"What happened here?" We look up to see Mr. Calhoun standing in the doorway. "Why are you holding your ankle?"

"It's my fault." Sky stands up quickly. "We were trying to teach Marlee how to do a newsie jump, and I pushed her too far."

Our director sighs. "Marlee, can you stand up?"

I nod, taking Ben's hand when he offers it to me. He slowly pulls me up, and I attempt to put weight on my foot. Bad idea. Once again, pain shoots through my leg, causing me to inhale sharply.

"We need to get her to the emergency room, now," Mr. Calhoun says hurriedly.

"I'll take her," Sky offers. I can tell he feels guilty.

"Take my car, but please be careful." Mr. Calhoun tosses the keys to Sky, who catches them.

"I'm coming!" Josh pipes up.

"I'm gonna pick you up," Ben warns me before placing one arm on my back and another under my knees. He picks me up. "Let's go," he says to his friends.

"I'll get the car!" Sky hurries ahead, Josh with him.

Ben carries me at a slower pace, giving Sky and Josh time to pull the car around. 

"Ben," I say, and he looks down at me. "I screwed up. What if I don't get to go on tour?"

"Don't say that, MJ," he replies. "We have a few weeks before we leave, so that will give it time to heal. Don't worry about it, okay? It'll all work out." I nod slowly, leaning my head against his chest as he carries me to the car. He gently places me in the backseat, climbs in behind me, and we're off to the emergency room.