Part One / Chapter Thirteen

I pay the taxi driver before walking inside the airport. As I'm entering, Adrienne texts and tells me her plane just landed. Only a few more minutes before I can see her. I wait at the baggage claim area, excitement and nerves aflutter in my stomach. Noelle keeps texting me, wanting updates. Once I tell her that Adrienne's arrived, she'll text the boys, and they'll meet us at the restaurant. While I'm texting Noelle back, I hear someone call my name. Adrienne.

Before I know what's happening, she almost knocks me over, hugging me tightly. "Marlee!" She says again. I smile and hug her back. "You have no idea how much I've missed you," my sister says, looking up at me.

"Wait." I detangle myself from her grasp, spotting the hoops dangling from her ears. "When did you get your ears pierced? That's new! You didn't tell me!"

She smiles sheepishly. "Yeah, I kind of forgot. And now it's a surprise!"

I roll my eyes, smiling. "Come on, we have to get your bag and then go eat." Together, we walk over to the carousel with suitcases already on it. Finally, Adrienne's bag comes around, she grabs it, and we go back outside to catch a taxi.

"I've never been to a big city before!" She looks at all the people around her in wonder. "It's so big."

I laugh quietly. "Wait until you see the actual city. It'll blow your mind." After getting a taxi and loading her bag in the back, we're on our way back to my apartment. Adrienne doesn't speak much; instead, she stares out the window in wonder, marveling at everything that comes in view. Her excitement only grows when we reach my apartment building. "This is so cute!" She squeals, quickly taking her bag and walking toward the front door.

I haven't even stepped inside my apartment when Noelle comes barreling out of the kitchen. "Oh my gosh!" She looks between me and my sister. "You're like a carbon copy of Marlee!"

Adrienne smiles brightly, giving Noelle a hug. "I can't believe I'm meeting you in person. This is so unreal!"

"Right?" Noelle grins. "FaceTime doesn't do it justice, does it?" My sister shakes her head.

"As happy as I am to see you two getting along, we have lunch reservations we need to get to," I point out. Adrienne puts her suitcase inside, takes a few minutes to freshen up, and comes back.

"Who are we meeting?" She chirps.

"Some friends," I say with a small grin.

"C'mon." We take the subway instead of a taxi. Adrienne is amazed at everything she sees. The subway barely dampens her spirits, even though it's not the cleanest place. Before long, we arrive at the restaurant. My phone rings: it's Ben.

"We got stuck in traffic," he explains when I answer. "Are you there already?"

"Yeah," I say, glancing over at Noelle and Adrienne people-watching. "We're outside. How far away are you?"

"Maybe ten minutes?" He guesses.

"Is that Marlee?" I hear in the background. I assume Ben nods, because the next thing I hear is Josh saying hello very loudly and very close to the phone.

"Hi, Josh," I say. Adrienne's head perks up when she hears me. Great. "Look, I have to go. Be prepared for her to freak out when she meets you guys, okay?"

"Oh, we're prepared," Ben answers me. "See you in a few."

I hang up, and Adrienne is now right in front of me. "Who was that? Who's Josh? Who's coming?"

"Slow down," I say to her, and then I turn to Noelle. "They're stuck in traffic. They'll be here in about ten minutes."

Noelle nods. "We've got time. Adrienne, come sit back down." She pats the spot next to her on the bench, and my sister obeys. I smile to myself, knowing how excited Adrienne will be once the boys arrive.

~~~~~
a shorter chapter for y'all. let me know what you think so far!
vote and comment! :)