BOOK TWO: THE ENCOUNTER

Start from the beginning

Scratch that!

Elena had no con artist and robber for a father. I was both a mother and father to my child.

Blood ties be damned!

A part of me felt happy that Ferracco never got to know Elena. In my case , that was the best possible revenge l could get.

"I am going to make so many friends," she prattled again smiling.

Every time she smiled at me , l saw a trace of Ferracco. I knew that physical things , like the colour of eyes and hair came as part of genetic package but l hadn't realised that smiles did also until baby Elena smiled at me for the first time two weeks after birth.

I pushed away the disturbing thoughts. It always made me furious to think of that bastard. I flashed my beautiful daughter a small smile instead and she gave me one of her cute little smiles.

My heart swelled again in love.

God!

She was so cute!

I wondered what l did in my previous life to deserve such a beautiful daughter.

Aunt Amira came out of the kitchen covered all over with flour . She was grinning widely while hiding something behind her back.

" Guess what l have made for you?chocolate cup cakes!," she told Elena.

A smile crept on Elena's baby face. She jumped out of my arms and raced towards Amira screaming,

"Yeeeey!"

She flung herself  around Amira's legs.

Lola came into the sitting room looking gorgeous as always in a tight yellow jumpsuit and black high heels. Her glossy black hair was pulled up into a tight bun at the top of her hair and silver earrings were dangling from each ear. She had gotten them from one her many admirers but she refused to tell me who. I suspected she was up to no good.

Anyway that was Lola for you , always wild and carefree. She has this favourite saying she used to quote every time l refused to indulge in one of her crazy adventures like sneaking into a bar using fake IDs.

"Jane , sometimes you got to let loose and play on the wild side ."

She always complained that l was too uptight for her taste.

Lola was applying makeup urgently like she was late. I snorted at her frantic efforts before saying,

"What's the use of makeup ? It will still be ruined by those steams."

Lola rolled her eyes at me and mouthed , "Damn you."

She worked at Lick It restaurant as a chef. She landed herself a great job considering Lick It was one of those upper class restaurants where rich people and even celebrities dined at.

Lola was going to drop Elena at the preschool on her way to work because her workplace was closer to the kindergarten.

Lola grabbed her handbag and Elena's little satchel. They were about to leave when l called after them.

"What about my goodbye kiss," l pouted.

Elena paused by the door and smiled apologetically at me. She ran towards me and when she reached me , l kneeled down to her level.