Seeing my tears , his angry look immediately disappeared . His eyes turned soft and were filled with concern. With a deep intake of breath, he released my wrists. His hand clawed back his hair.

"Cara , forgive my reaction," he said in a low voice .

" l was just angry that you didn't consider me when you suddenly announced our relationship in front of everyone," he added in no doubt a pained voice.

I was aware of how selfish l was at the breakfast table but Claudius's rude behaviour left me no choice.

" l am sorry for being inconsiderate. I only wanted to.... "

" We clearly agreed that now was not the right time, Jane. How does that make me look in front of your family. We just buried your parents. We were supposed to wait until the mourning period was over and do things the right way by asking your Aunt for your hand in marriage. "

His voice sounded angry. I felt tears pooling in my eyes again at the mention of my parents. I realised how stupid and absurd l was this morning.

" l couldn't let Claudius treat you that way," l chocked out , gulping back tears.

Ferracco held my face between his strong hands and kissed away my tears. He looked down at me and the edges of his lips turned up.

" It was bound to happen. They were only being protective of you. I mean it's not even a week since we meet and we are already discussing marriage. To other people it may seem stupid and irrational. "

I smiled at him through my tears.

"I know," l said.

"Besides you can't go around fighting everyone who disapproves of me," he said with a grin.

"I think l can," l said as l laid my head on his chest and closed my eyes feeling relaxed by the steady beating of his heart.

Ferracco dropped a light kiss on the top of my head before wrapping his strong arms around me.

"Do you know that you can be a little stubborn at times," he said in an amused voice.

"So l have been told," l murmured against his chest smiling.

God had taken away my parents but he had not left me alone. He had gifted me with this handsome man holding me in his arms smiling.

For the first time after my parent's death , l did not feel alone. He held me in his arms and kissed me tenderly.

                                                ****

Eight weeks later , l was sitting in my wedding gown in front of my mirror smiling.

"You look beautiful, child," Aunt Amira said proudly besides me , sniffing back tears.

I turned around and squeezed her hand smiling.

"Aunt , stop crying . It's my wedding day not my funeral," l said.

Amira took out her handkerchief and blew her nose  twice before looking up at me with a trembling smile on her lips.

"I just wish that Alice and Mr Augusto were here to give you away ."

A sad feeling settled over me as l remembered my parents. My parents would have been so happy to see me get married especially to a wonderful and considerate man like Ferracco. It was one of my mother's dreams to see me happily married.

"You can still do that , Aunt. After all you are now my mother,right?," l said blinking back tears.

"Oh , Jane," Amira whispered before hugging me for the umpteenth time since morning.