Chapter Two: Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

~ You're right here... Lets not fear any longer... ~

Chapter Two: Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

Turns out, I fit in pretty well. The band loves me, and honestly, I love the band. Just a bunch of guys chasing their dreams, not so different from me with my dancing. I liked being around them, and from what I could tell, they were quite fond of me. Max was still his protective, sweet self though, always liking to have some sort of physical contact with me at all times. He was incredibly loving and gentle in every move he made towards me, more so than usual, if that was possible. He took every opportunity he saw to let me know just how much he'd missed me, just how much he loved me and wanted me to feel safe beside him. And it made me smile.

That night on the bus, headed on our way to lord only knows where for the next show, the boys got tired relatively quickly after we'd gotten done eating. They were all fighting to stay awake, not unlike myself as we sat on the couch in the lounge.

"Guys," Max said. "I think it's time for bed," he announced, taking his hand from mine for a moment and rubbing his eyes. Everyone nodded in agreement, before Spicy cocked his head, looking at Max and I.

"There's only six bunks," he said tiredly. "Who's sleeping where?"

I rubbed my eyes, knowing the real answer, but too unsure of what Max was willing to let on to the guys just yet to say what I thought. "I'll sleep out here," I told him, fighting back a yawn. Max, catching my unease, nodded, kissing my cheek softly. The guys all called goodnight to me sweetly, and I called my responses as they all climbed into their bunks, their gazes still lingering on the love of my life and I. Max produced a pillow and a blanket, helping me get comfortable on the couch as he tentatively watched over my shoulder, waiting to see if the guys were going to make this easy for us. He frowned when he realized they weren't, leaning down and gently kissing my forehead. He smiled, squeezing my shoulder.

"Good night, beautiful," he whispered, slowly standing. "I'm in the top bunk on the left if you need me," he informed me. I smiled, curling under the blankets.

"Good night, baby," I told him. "I love you."

He smiled. "I love you too. Always."

He kissed me one more time on the cheek, before standing again and walking past the couch. He turned the lights off, before I heard shuffling that told me he'd crawled into his bunk.

The next forty-five minutes were some of the longest in my life.

I laid awake, staring into the darkness for what seemed like forever before I heard shuffling and shifting through the silence. I closed my eyes as I heard someone slowly move into the lounge, directly in front of me. I evened out my breathing, not moving until I heard a voice bring me from my hiding.

"Love..." Max's voice whispered. "I know you're awake, gorgeous."

I pulled my eyes open, seeing Max's figure faintly though the darkened room. He knelt down in front of me, pulling the covers back and reaching for my hand. He looked so much like the boy I fell in love with, his slightly tousled hair everywhere and a sleepy smile across his lips. His chest was bare, sweatpants hanging low around his waist and exposing the elastic of his boxers. I couldn't help a small smile that fought its way onto my face as I stared up at him.

"Hey," I whispered, slowly shifting myself into a sitting position. "Why're you up, baby?" I asked, running my fingers through his curls. He visibly relaxed at my touch, his eyes closing as everything about his body softened.

"I think it's time we stop pretending," be murmured, pulling the blankets off my body entirely. I smiled as he shifted me, slowly lifting me bridal style in his arms and standing. "Neither one of us will sleep being so close, but so far apart. There's plenty of room in my bunk for two."