Chapter Thirty-Six: Concert Tickets

~ Don't waste your time on me, you're already the voice inside my head... ~

Chapter Thirty-Six: Concert Tickets

"Baby..."

"She's messing with my family, Blakely. I want to talk to her."

"Max, you're angry. You won't be able to keep it under control if you see her."

"I don't even care at this point. I want to know if she even regrets what she did."

"You and I both know she probably doesn't."

"I just want know what the hell was going through her head when she poisoned you. It's sick, Blakely."

I huffed. "Don't you think I know that, Max?"

My love fell silent and I sighed, reaching for his hand where he'd been pacing in front of me on the tour bus. I pulled him down to sit next to me, guiding his head to rest softly on my shoulder while my arms wrapped around his waist. He relaxed a little, letting out a long breath.

After I'd finally calmed down enough and stopped throwing up, Max helped me get cleaned up and carried my horribly weak body back to the bus. Max had freaked out, because he said I'd felt lighter than usual, but I assured him it was just his imagination, that I was fine, and that all I needed was a little food in my system. After I'd eaten a peanut butter sandwich, I felt better, but Max got angry again, angry at Chloe. The guys just watched me while I tried to calm him down, knowing I could do more for him than anyone else could.

Max sighed, closing his eyes. "I'm so angry..." he whispered, clenching and unclenching his fists as tears escaped his eyes. I nodded, softly shushing him in an attempt to calm him down.

"I know, baby," I assured him, wiping away his tears with my thumbs. "I know. But I need you most right now," I reminded him. "I need you to stay here."

He sighed again, nodding slightly as he pulled me into his lap, resting his face against my neck. I ran my fingers through his hair, soothing him, leaving soft kisses on his forehead now and then and letting him calm down. He was silent for a while before he spoke, his voice barely a whisper against my neck.

"Tell me you love me..." he murmured, his voice small, tentative, almost vulnerable. "Please?"

I smiled. "I love you," I told him. "More than anything."

I felt him give a small smile, his arms tightening around me. "I love you too..." he whispered. "I'm sorry for blowing up."

I let him pull me closer, snuggling my body tight against his. "You're fine," I assured him. Max took long breaths, very controlled, like it was an effort to make them even and steady.

"I'm scared, Blakely," he admitted quietly. I frowned, knowing he was speaking to me, only me, like no one else was in the room, his most vulnerable side exposing itself as he squeezed my waist. This part of him, this part that was so very rare for anyone to see, always made my heart melt against my chest, knowing it was difficult for him to go from such a beautiful, happy monkey, to this man who was in several ways, scared; scared of rejection, scared of himself, scared of being hurt by the people he loved most in this world.

"What're you scared of, Max?" I whispered, my voice soothing and gentle in the way I spoke. He was quiet for a bit, trying to put his feelings to words, trying to form sentences in a way that I'd understand his no doubt complex feeling.

"I'm scared of what this'll do to our relationship..." Max finally whispered. I frowned, looking back at him.

"What do you mean?" I asked. He sighed, not meeting my gaze.