Chapter Twenty-Seven: Worst News Yet

~ I never knew, I never knew that everything was falling through ~

Chapter Twenty-Seven: Worst News Yet

Max was back by my side within minutes, his hand in mine as he sat back down on the edge of my bed. He moved gingerly, trying to minimize my pain as he made the bed shift. Moments after he'd settled, the guys all came bursting into the room, Dustin and Ali following close behind.

"Keep it calm, guys," Max told them. "Stress will make her pain worse."

The band nodded, grinning hugely as they all one by one came by my side to do their best at a hug. It hurt, a lot, but I tried not to show it, wanting to let them be happy and excited that I was awake and alive. Max saw that it caused me pain, but he didn't say anything, knowing I didn't mind.

DKarp was the last of the Babes to hug me, and I couldn't help but notice the gauze on his upper arm. Our hug lingered longer, naturally. "Thank you..." I whispered. "You're the reason I'm here, holding his hand, and I'll find a way to repay you one day."

DKarp smiled, shaking his head as he kissed the top of my head. "No thanks necessary, little bug," he told me. I squeezed his shoulder, letting him slowly pull away. Ali was in my arms next, quietly crying into my shoulder.

"Don't ever do that again!" she sobbed softly. "I thought I'd lost my best friend! I don't know what I'd have done if you died!"

I smiled, hugging her tighter. "I didn't though," I assured her softly. "I'm alright, Ali. I'm okay."

Ali sniffled. "Call Adam later, okay?" she whispered. "He was worried sick when I told him what happened."

I nodded. "Alright," I agreed. "Are you okay?"

She was still for a moment, before she slowly nodded. "I'll be fine," she told me, pulling away and wiping her eyes and standing. She smiled at me, and I smiled back, before she stepped away and let Dustin slowly move forward. He sat down beside me, taking my other hand as he stared down at me. He had been crying, I realized, the thought hitting me like a ton of bricks as I saw his tearstained cheeks and tousled hair. His thumb ran over my knuckles, giving a tiny smile.

"Hey baby girl," he whispered. I smiled, my heart swelling as I squeezed my brothers hand.

"Hi Bubba," I responded. "How're you holding up?"

Dustin laughed, wiping his eyes. "I'm okay," he told me. "Better than you, I'd bet."

I chuckled. "You'd probably win that bet," I responded. "I'm pretty worse for wear, huh?"

He smiled. "You're strong," he said instead. "You made it through. I'd like to think you made it through for all of us."

I just nodded, squeezing his hand. He suddenly grinned, leaning forward and kissing my forehead. "Welcome back, baby girl," he whispered, before slowly pulling away. I laughed softly, before cringing in pain, closing my eyes and groaning. Max suddenly had the nurses button in his hand, ready to push it.

"Will you let me call someone in here now?" he pleaded. "You're in pain, a lot of it, and I wish you'd let me make it stop."

I frowned, fighting the pain. "Fine..." I mumbled. He smiled, slowly kissing my cheek as he hit the button.

"Thank you," he whispered, watching as a nurse came pushing through the people in the room. Her eyes widened at me, cocking her head.

"Hold on..." she said slowly. "Just let me go tell your doctor you're awake..."

She hurried from the room, seeming started at the fact that I was up. Max and I raised our eyebrows at each other, looking between the door and each others eyes as we waited. It was a few minutes before she came stumbling back in, with an older looking man who had a very concentrated look on his face.