I've never seen Alex play volleyball. Sure, I've caught a few glances of her, but I never stayed long enough to watch. Back then, I didn't care what she does or she doesn't. My instincts screamed trouble whenever she's near so I stayed far away from her as much as possible. Look where it got me now.

I focus my gaze on Alex. Her hair is tied back in a ponytail. The gray Dri-fit shirt that hangs loose on her body is tucked into cycling shorts that are barely covering her butt. A knee compression sleeve wrapped tightly on her left leg is the only thing offering her cover from the thighs downward.

Alex plays as the team's setter, which doesn't come as a surprise. She's smart, calm, and knows how to get through the opponent's defense. It's refreshing to see how her long, slender fingers touch and toss the ball gently as compared to the rough way she dribbles and shoots a basketball. Although with her powerful arms, I have no doubt she'd also be a competent spiker.

The girl who asked Alex for a kiss who I identified as Malkit thanks to the surname at the back of her jersey, is the opposing team's middle blocker—a good one, too. Every time she completely shuts down Alex's attackers, she shouts something to taunt their team, and whenever Alex successfully throws a dump their way, she shouts one right back. It was a good-natured banter, completely different from the one during the women's basketball team's championship match.

"Come on, Alex. You can do better than that," Malkit smirks, a hand resting on her hips.

"Oh, I know. I'm just warming up. Want me to throw this first set as a handicap? Maybe I'll even add the second if I'm feeling good." Alex clenches and unclenches her hands as if inspecting it.

Malkit laughs, unfazed by Alex's taunt. "Sure, I'll take whatever I can get."

It's hard to tell whether Alex was bluffing. On one hand, I can see that the other team is good, especially that blocker. On the other hand, I know Alex. She's not just blowing hot air. She may be annoyingly cocky but I know full well that that cockiness is rooted from absolute confidence in her skill. And that trust is well-placed.

Alex's team lost the first set. Malkit was grinning from ear to ear when they switched sides on the court, but Alex only gave her a smirk. She gathers her team in a circle. They huddle close, crouching a little as Alex talks to them while making subtle hand gestures. When they straighten up, Kristina's face mirrors the mischievous grin that shows in Alex's face.

Knowing that look, I watched in anticipation to find out what Alex has planned. I didn't need to wait long. As soon as Casey received the ball, Alex went to her position. Instead of heading for the ball, she backpedals, approaches, jumps so high her chin goes past the top of the net and smashes the ball through Malkit's block.

"Eyyy!" Kristina high-fives Alex.

"You're absolutely insane." Malkit shakes her head in total awe.

Alex flicks her gaze to me and winks. Despite my best efforts to keep a straight face, my lips involuntarily tug upwards. Show-off.

From that point on, Alex and Kristina switched places as a spiker and setter. After winning the next three sets and exchanging trashtalks with her friends, Alex comes to me with a splitting grin on her face. She stops in front of me, places her hands on the bench on either side of my thighs and gives me a peck on the lips. "Damn, that felt good." She plumps herself next to me.

Ignoring the flutter in my stomach caused by the gesture, I hand over her squeeze water bottle. "Tired?"

"Nah, it was worth it." She throws her leg over the other side of the bench so she's fully facing me. "Wanna stay for pizza? The girls are ordering, courtesy of the losing team."