Chapter 2 - Phase One x Gittarackur x And x Tonpa

Emiko and Illumi both had two different reasons for taking the Hunter Exam. For Emiko, being a part of the Hunter Association would help her in the long run. First of all, almost no legal responsibility for murder. Second of all, access to the secret Hunters-Only Website, where secret intelligence about various subjects could be purchased. Illumi, mostly, was there to keep an eye on his younger Zoldyck sibling, Killua.

Out of the corners of his eyes, Illumi could see the glimmer of excitement in Emiko's eyes as they walked through the Zaban City markets, easily enticed by the jewels and exotic street food.

"It's through here," their navigator lead them, gesturing to a small, almost unnoticeable restaurant. He directed them into the small diner, the scent of freshly fried katsu wafting through the air as they made their way into the back room.

"One in every ten thousand. That's the number of first timers to have made it this far is very far. You've done extremely well for first timers," their navigator commended.

"Thank you!" Emiko grinned from ear to ear and bowed politely, "We're both assassins, so it would be quite tragic if we didn't."

Their navigator's eyes grew wide in shock and fear, "A-Ah, I see."

"Kidding," Emiko poked her tongue out, "Thank you again."

The moment the door closed, the room started to let out a deep rumble.

"Why do you scare people like that?" Illumi asked out of curiosity.

Emiko tapped her chin and she hummed happily, "I like seeing the looks on their faces."

She circled the room, scanning it for any suspicious activities.

"It appears this room is an elevator," Illumi observed, "Okay. Time to use my needles."

Emiko watched in wild fascination as Illumi pricked his face with his yellow needles, not once flinching at their sharpness. His appearance quickly became highly distorted by countless pins, barely recognizable.

"I've put myself under the name of Gittarackur," he explained. Emiko doubled over with laughter, pointing feebly with a shaky finger.

"Y-You- look really- real-ly funny," She let out several more brief outbursts of laughter before she quickly brought them under control. She cleared her throat, "Sorry, Gittarackur."

The elevator made a 'Ding!' before the doors slid open. They entered an old tunnel which curled away cold into indefinite dark, the light that showed the rough walls dwindling and blinking.  Immediately, the absence of natural light, combined with the forceful scent of someone's cheap perfume, almost overwhelmed Emiko's senses.  It was already filled with a couple hundred people, murmuring amongst each other. Their faces all held the same expressions - a condensed mixture of worry and determination. At their arrival, heads snapped towards them, eyeing them up and down as if sizing them up. It was a strange, tense atmosphere.

"Are we supposed to fight all of them? I ... wouldn't hate that," Emiko admitted, muttering the last part to herself.

"Hello. Please take a number," a green skinned creature with a bean-like appearance handed each of them a badge, "Be sure you wear this on your chest at all times. Be careful not to lose it."

"Got it, thanks!" Emiko made a salute motion with her right hand, clipping her number onto her shirt. Illumi was number 301, and she was 302. Illumi motioned towards the wall, voicelessly announcing he would look for Killua. Emiko nodded and gave him a thumbs up. Knowing one another for that long truly had its benefits.

"You seem new around here!"

Emiko twisted her neck to identify the unfamiliar voice, "Oh, you can tell I'm new?"