Chapter Twenty-Seven

☽☾

☽☾

Serafina walked around her hotel assessing the repairs being made since Agatha, her eyes scanned the improvements she'd chosen to make, she was expanding her hotel. Her lips tugged into a smile as she gazed upon something, she'd built by herself. She sometimes wished her life could simple, that she'd own this hotel and that would be enough to get by. It was a cover that she could barely afford to keep afloat without her illicit proclivities.

"Sera!" Peterkin called out in the distance and she turned, looking over at Peterkin, her smile fading. The way Peterkin rushed towards her, her eyes wide. "I'm only going to ask you once; you have this one chance to not lie to me."

"What happened?" Serafina asked breathlessly.

"Who killed Big John?" Peterkin calmly and coldly asked. Serafina had a habit of lying, it's how she'd gotten as far as she did but it was also why she was alone.

"Ward Cameron." Serafina reluctantly answered, looking away from Peterkin.

"Why didn't you come to me sooner? You understand how that affected John B? Your daughter's friend." It was a question Serafina asked herself as well. Not that exact question but sometimes she'd wonder when her unconditional love for her children ended and where her selfishness began.

"Ward has the means to take everything from me." Serafina tried to give her best defence but she knew it wasn't good enough. "I didn't want to become involved in this."

"Why not?" Peterkin dangerously asked.

"Because while it was difficult it sure as shit wasn't impossible to find the gold, you just have to be smart enough to see through the bullshit. I already knew where the gold was before Ward told me about what Big John was looking for." Serafina began to explain her side of the story to Peterkin. "I took enough to keep me afloat, to build myself this motel and kick-start my life with James. Obviously, that turned to shit, and I realised that gold is cursed. No good comes out of having it. Ward is a greedy pig; he'd do anything for the gold because he doesn't want to go back to having nothing which is the argument he made when he approached me about it."

"I'll do this one favour for you, Serafina." Peterkin began knowing she would throw away her shot at being a good Sheriff to protect Serafina, she cursed herself for choosing to care about Serafina. She should have taken a tip from James and left. Serafina didn't mean to be but she was toxic. "I'll keep you and your family out of the investigation completely."

"Why would you do that?" Serafina asked.

"We're friends." Peterkin coolly replied. "Where can I find Ward?"

"His air strip, he's taking off to the Bahamas with $200 million in gold." Serafina answered, as Peterkin nodded and went to leave Serafina reached out, grasping Peterkin's bicep, causing the Sheriff to turn towards her. "Be careful." Serafina let go watching Peterkin leave.