Chapter Fifteen

☽☾

☽☾

Leo made his way out of his car and he leaned against the hood, his own special joint tucked between his lips as he puffed away. It hadn't actually been that long since he'd partied with the kooks. Everyone on this stupid little island divided themselves into kooks and pogues, for most of his early life he was sure he was a pogue. One day he moved onto the figure eight and suddenly went to school with all the kooks. He had all the privilege of the kooks, but he was raised a pogue. It was easier for people like Lu whose support system was entirely pogue, so she chose to be that. She was strong enough to proclaim that she that was what she was, and no one could say anything about it. He wasn't anything like Lu.

He was in a constant state of treading the fine line between kook and pogue. Kooks thought he was a kook and pogues thought he was a pogue. He kept his head down most of his life, so no one ever really bothered him about it.

"Holy shit, Leo?" Rafe called out loudly from the distance and Leo turned looking over at Rafe Cameron. His lips twitched into a smile as he stood up from his car and gave Rafe a half embrace. "What the hell are you doing here man?" Rafe asked rubbing under his nose. Rafe hadn't seen Leo around since he was in High School and Leo was attached at the hip to Grace. 

"Top invited me." Leo answered with a dopey smile, Rafe laughed and looked around, he held his hand out and Leo handed him the joint, Rafe took a drag and then howled with laughter as he handed it back.

"Shit man, what's in there?" Rafe asked. 

"Not much, just like this and that." Leo smiled as Rafe slapped Leo's back and directed him towards the entrance, walking with the lanky kid.

"Yeah, I swear you're always high." Rafe laughed as he leaned in closer to Leo. "I got some yeyo, if you got the cash you can have some." Rafe whispered to Leo whose smile grew and he nodded as they passed a girl, he passed the joint to her before walking inside with Rafe.

"For sure," Leo nodded. He stood amongst the crowd or rich teenagers watching as Rafe asked a girl to spread the word. Leo felt awkward, not because of the people in general, large gatherings always made him feel on edge. They made him feel like he had something to prove to everyone, as if who he was right now wasn't good enough. Rafe glanced over at Leo noticing him standing there, his hands stuffed into his pockets and he laughed.

"You haven't changed at all." Rafe laughed as he pulled Leo along with him.

"Yeah, not really." Leo smiled as he walked downstairs.

"How's your sister doing? I heard she's hanging out with those fucking psycho pogues." Rafe swore as he glanced back at Leo before returning to looking ahead.

"She's good, like usual not many people can tell her what to do and what not to do." Leo commented, rubbing the back of his neck, his fingernails scraping against his skin turning it red.