011. A SMALL FLUTTER

A SMALL FLUTTER
YOU

A SMALL FLUTTER overcame Jo March when she awoke

A SMALL FLUTTER overcame Jo March when she awoke. The sight of Penelope Brooks laying next to her, head on her old wooden desk that had seen better days, just warmed her heart. The way a singular coifed lock of golden hair fell over her face. Jo leant over, gently pushing it out of her eyes and placing it behind her ear.

The simplicity of their relationship was enough to melt Jo into a puddle, she just loved everything about Penelope. Her hair, her eyes, her soul and the way that she carried herself. How she was a brilliant conversationalist and how well she got along with her sisters and Laurie. Jo March could continue to list the things that she admired about Penelope for as long as she could live.

Jo pushed her chair back as quietly as she could, the fear of waking Penny from her peaceful slumber sat in the air. Jo pushed her hair back and out of her face before taking one last look at Penelope.

The faint sun of a winters morning came through the singular window that had been placed meticulously many years ago. The soft rays illuminated Penelope's golden curls, the sun just missing her face. She would have to write that down, Penny would have to make an appearance in her book- it would never be complete without.

She reached into her dresser to grab her manuscript, ready to scrawl down ways that she could even come close to portraying Penny's beauty, but it was gone. The memories of the night before rushing back. Her burnt novel, her fight with Amy, Penny coming to comfort her in the late hours of the night.

She would have to start her book once again, a new muse in total. She knew who it would be.

Jo heard small amounts of commotion coming from downstairs, so she left Penny in the attic, the sun still shining down on her as it always would. Meg and Beth sat at the table, Amy absence from breakfast, Jo had never been more grateful. She was a stubborn one, everyone knew it to be so; Jo March would always have the last laugh unless it came to Penelope. She was the only one who Jo would bow down for, in such a short time their souls had become intertwined.

Breakfast was normal, civil and quant. Three of the March sisters conversing about their days and what they planned to do. Jo thought that maybe she and Penny could waste away the day locked up inside the attic, Jo would write and Penelope would inspire; it sounded ethereal.

The calm aspect of the dining room was disturbed by a slight clang coming from upstairs, a stage whispered obscenity making its way into Jo's ears.

"Jo!" Penelope came rushing down the stairs, her hair surprisingly still intact from the previous night, "Why did you not wake me?!"

"You were sleeping?" She shot Penny a confused looking, "That would have been rude,"

"I was supposed to go home with Peter last night, I have to go and apologise to him," She ran her fingers through her hair in panic. Penelope was frenetic as she searched the March's living room for her overcoat.