015. FOOLISH ACTIONS

FOOLISH ACTIONS
YOU

FOOLISH ACTIONS were something that Penelope Brooks never thought would be committed by Jo March

FOOLISH ACTIONS were something that Penelope Brooks never thought would be committed by Jo March. Let alone actions so foolish to destroy their friendship, something that they had nourished and watched grow together since the first night they met. Jo March loved an adrenaline rush as much as the next young adult, but an adrenaline rush caused by stealing from her best friend? Shocked Penelope to say the least.

"I'm so sorry that you had to find out this way," Peter held Penelope's hand whilst tears fell from her eyes. "I cannot believe she would do this to you," 

"Are you sure?" Penelope locked eyes with Peter, "It- It's just that I cannot see Jo-"

"Lola," He squeezed her hand, "I saw her, your golden ring in hand, and your mother's locket hung from her coat,"

"Jo she- she does not need money, she- she does not care for riches! This isn't like her," Penelope stood up from her bed, shaking off Peter's hold on her hand as she began to pace her parlour. 

"I'm not sure what has changed, Lola," Peter shook his head. 

"I need some time alone," She stopped in her tracks, Peter looked at her shocked.

"Pardon?"

"I would like you to leave me alone, Peter. I need to be alone right now," Peter slowly stood up from the armchair next to her bed and showed himself out without another word. On the way down the stairs Peter shook his head in anger as he went to leave the Brooks residence. A shine caught his eye as something reflected off of the singular ray of sunshine emitting into the home. A pocket watch sat in Tobias' coat, desperately calling Peter's name. He quickly scanned his environment before pocketing the watch and leaving the house. 

( FOOLISH ACTIONS, YOU )

"Penelope?" The parlour door opened slowly, "Penelope, darling," Ethel poked her head around the door, looking at her daughter who was sat at her vanity, slowly brushing out her curls. "I come baring news, and supper," She puts a tray with a small spread of food on Penelope's bed. 

"Thank you," Penelope looks down at her dinner, not having any appetite, "What is it?"

"Mr March, he's been hurt in battle,"

"What?!" Penelope stood to her feet in shock, "The girls are they okay? What happened to him?!" 

"I'm not sure, I just know that Marmee has had to leave suddenly, Mr Brooke is accompanying her to the station," Ethel explained sighing, "I was going to go over and help Hannah make dinner, would you like to come with Martha and I?"

To say 'yes' was Penelope's first instinct, but then the thought of seeing Jo crossed her mind. She couldn't face her yet, but she needed her. 

"Penelope?"

"I think I'll stay here," Her words surprised Ethel, Penelope not jumping at the chance to visit her best friend was unheard of in the Brooks household. "I'm very tired, please tell them that I was asleep, I don't think I would be able to keep my eyes open if I went," Penelope allowed a pathetic excuse of a laugh fall from her lips. 

"Okay?" Ethel said cautiously, standing up from her chair. "Is everything alright between you and Jo?"

"Yes," She lied, "Everything is fine,"

( FOOLISH ACTIONS, YOU )

Ethel and Martha raced on in from the surprisingly cold winter winds and into the March household. "We're here! And we brought dinner," Ethel smiled, passing off the dish to Martha.

"Amy?!" Martha hurried on into the kitchen to find her friend.

"What a lovely surprise!" Meg engulfed Ethel into a hug.

"Hello Mrs Brooks, how are you this evening?" Laurie asked, coming from the living room.

"Theodore, you get more and more handsome every time I see you!" She allowed him into Meg and hers embrace. 

"Mrs Brooks!" Jo shouted, shoving her way through Meg and Laurie. 

"Jo, my love!" Ethel closed her eyes as she held Jo tight, she knew something was wrong with her and Penelope- but based on the greeting that Jo gave her, Jo did not know.

"Where's Penny?" Jo looked over Ethel's shoulder, noticing the absence of her best friend. Jo slowly let go of Ethel, disappointed by her lack of presence. 

"Oh she's asleep- Jo March, where is your hair?!" Ethel shouted, holding onto Jo's now extremely short locks. 

"Oh I, sold it to pay for my mother's fare up to father," Jo chuckled, the lie laying softly on her tongue. 

"You still look beautiful nonetheless," Ethel smiled, "Okay! Now time for dinner,"

The night went smoothly, dinner was prepared by Ethel with the help of Hannah, the March and Brooks girls were accompanied by Laurie and they sat in a warm room full of laughter and meaningful conversations that would soon become memories. But Jo couldn't help herself but to miss Penelope.

Jo's absence from the table later on in the night did not go unnoticed, especially by Amy. She found her older sister sat up on the floor in front of her bed, a tear-stricken face.

"Jo?" Amy asked softly, closing the door quietly behind her. "What- What's wrong?" Amy could count the number of times she had seen Jo cry in her life on one hand, but this time it was different, it was painful to watch- she was visibly heartbroken. Jo didn't respond, she just let out another cry.

"Oh, Jo. Is it Father?" She asked, sitting next to her sister.

"No... It's my hair," She cried, one hand reaching up to feel her newly chopped locks. What once was luscious and long, Jo felt the now harsh ends of her short curls. Jo leant over into Amy and sobbed into her arms.

"Then why did you cut it? Aunt March would have given you the money if you asked," Amy rubbed Jo's arm.

"I didn't do it for mother, my intensions were selfish Amy!" She looked up at her sister, she looked a mess. "I did it for Penny,"

"Why on earth would Penelope want you to cut your hair?" Amy was confused.

"I thought that maybe-" Jo let out another cry before taking a deep breath- "I thought maybe she might like me back if I looked more like a boy,"

Amy sat in silence. 

"And now I just look worse than before, she would not even bother to look twice at me Amy," Jo was too distraught to even process that she had just confessed her feelings for Penelope to her little sister- especially one that cannot keep a secret.

"Jo... You like Penelope?" 

"Amy," Jo stopped playing with her fingers, "I love her,"