009. A WELL-DESERVED APOLOGY

A WELL-DESERVED APOLOGY
YOU

A WELL-DESERVED APOLOGY was just what Penelope Brooks deserved thought Meg March

A WELL-DESERVED APOLOGY was just what Penelope Brooks deserved thought Meg March. After Penelope and Jo's argument over the weekend, Jo had been especially nit-picky. She made more snarky comments than usual and refused to wear her shoes inside. Marmie was just about ready to lock Jo up in the attic.

Jo was not one to talk about her feelings of insecurity out loud, so none of her sisters knew what the argument was about; but they knew a rift had been caused. Because all of last week Jo was talking about how she and Penny were going to see a play together with Meg and Laurie, but since Saturday eve, had not mentioned it once.

"You need to let go of your pride, Jo," Meg folded another fitted bed-sheet, adding it onto her growing pile. "Penelope is your closest friend-"

"I have Laurie!"

"Yes, but you don't only want to have Laurie for the rest of your life do you?" Meg stopped herself from grabbing another sheet, instead giving her sister a knowing look. Even Laurie knew that Jo preferred Penelope's company over his, it broke his heart, for it longed for Jo March. "You need to apologise to Penelope,"

"But-"

"I don't know what you two fought over, but nothing is more important than fixing a good friendship," Meg picked her laundry back up, "Don't you agree Beth?". She kept her eyes on the piano keys her fingers effortlessly pressed and ran across.

"I think Penelope is nice," Beth nodded, "You are always a much happier person around her. I think it will be good for you to become friends again,"

Jo knew that her sisters were right, she would never allow herself to admit that out loud. The familiar feeling of insecurity that had been washing over Jo for the past few days, crept it's way back into her chest and mind.

"But-" Jo cut herself off, she contemplated putting her worries out in the open, for the wind to blow them around the room like the heavy burden they were. "But what if she doesn't want to forgive me, what if- what if she has decided that she does not to be friends anymore?"

The room filled with silence. Beth had stopped playing the piano and Meg stopped folding, she held the sheet close to the chest.

"Jo-" Meg put down the linen and sat down on the floor in front of her younger sister, "Penelope adores you, anyone could see that. You two are the best of friends, do not worry about if's or what's. They will drive a person to the edge, somewhere that you love to live- try your best to not be compelled by them,"

Jo leant into Meg's touch as she ran her fingers through her sister's hair. With a nod, Jo sighed. "I'll apologise,"

"Good," A smile broke out onto Meg's face. Beth resumed playing a carefree tune on the piano, serenity replacing the dread Jo had been feeling. She picked herself up and shoved on her shoes that had been kicked next to the fire place. An apple in hand, Jo left her home- her sister's watching her leave to hopefully win Penelope's friendship once more.

( A WELL-DESERVED APOLOGY, YOU )

"Jo, what are you doing here?" Penelope picked up the apple that had definitely began to bruise her. Jo watched as Peter, a boy who she had never seen before in her seventeen years of living, rubbed Penelope's arm back and forth trying to comfort her from the sudden impact of the red fruit. The sight of his affection towards Penny sickened her.

Jo had to remember why she had arrived at the Brook's estate in the first place, but could not help herself but to be curious about the boy who was about to kiss Penny. "Who are you?" Jo had to restrain herself from crossing her arms, Meg was right- she had to try her best to hold her pride.

"Well, I'm Peter," He stood, helping Penelope up from her spot on the ground, "You are obviously Jo March. Lola has told me all about you," He smiled, choosing to ignore Jo's abrupt arrival. Peter stuck out his hand for Jo to shake, she hesitated before choosing to shake it- she was impressed by his willingness to shake a woman's hand, how he did not bow or attempt to kiss it instead.

"Lola?" Jo gave Penny a confused glance.

Penelope chose to ignore Jo's questioning look, but rather explained who Peter was. "Peter and I used to court when we were younger," Penelope shot Peter a smile, before turning back to Jo, "He's moved back home after nine years in Europe, isn't that wonderful?" The look of joy on Penelope's face was too much for Jo to even try and be upset with the sudden appearance of this random boy.

"Spectacular," Her tone said otherwise, "Penny can we please talk, just for a few moments,"

"I know when I'm not wanted," Peter chuckled, his hand still interlocked with Penelope's, "I'll go see if your father needs any help in his office, I'll see you soon," Peter smiled at Penelope before placing a delicate kiss on her soft cheek. "It was very nice to meet you Jo," Peter nodded at her before making his way back up the hill that was connected to the Brooks' Estate. Jo wished that she could say the same.

Penelope watched with a blushing smile as Peter gave her one last wave before heading inside. The sick feeling made it's way back into Jo's stomach, she couldn't stand affection even in private- but in public? In front of people? Never in a million years.

"He seems... nice?" It sounded as more of a question too Penelope.

"He is," Penelope suddenly put on a hard exterior, the butterflies in her stomach flying away after Peter had left. "What are you doing here Jo?"

She almost did not want to answer, her pride creeping it's way out once more- but she could not let it get the best of her, could not let herself lose Penny over a self-inflicted battle. "I- I wanted to apologise for my behaviour the other night,"

Penelope was stunned at the revelation, she never thought that Jo would apologise to anyone- but miracles occur apparently.

"It was rude and immature of me to ignore your feelings and views on love," Jo tried her best to resist playing with her fingers, but could not, "Just because we feel differently does not mean we should fight. You are my best friend Penny," Just the nickname made her want to smile, "I do not want to lose you just because you desire something different than I,"

Anxiety ate Jo from the ground up, Penny's silence created a pain in her chest that she had never experienced before.

"You are my best friend too, Jo," Relief washed over Jo like a wave, ebbing and flowing on a peaceful beach in the moonlight. Penelope engulfed Jo in a hug, the feeling of Jo's curls in her hands felt electric. Jo had never liked hugs, if she had to get close in proximity to someone, she would rather wrestling be involved- but she would excuse it for this moment.

For it was a magical rekindling of a beautiful relationship between two women.

( TAG-LIST )
silverfalcons, jbassettt, bananadas, casfollowedthebee, zackarina_writes, mannequinn25, georgesmlths, neplutos, softlyiridescent, -icyblood + rxvenclxaws

if you would like to be added to the tag-list, comment here

if you would like to be removed from the tag-list, comment here