003. AN EDUCATED LADY

AN EDUCATED LADY
YOU

AN EDUCATED LADY is a proper lady, Ethel would constantly preach

AN EDUCATED LADY is a proper lady, Ethel would constantly preach. Women were now lucky enough to be allowed to attend school, the Brooks family made sure that their children simply had the best education possible. Penelope adored being homeschooled, the serenity of being in her own home learning, helped her excel... Martha, not so much.

Martha Brooks wanted, no... needed more stimulation, she always needed more. So Ethel and Tobias finally decided to allow Martha to attend school. After kicking and screaming her way out of their family carriage because she 'didn't want to seem like a brat', Penelope opted to walk her to school.

"You're not going to be able to run amuck as you used to at home, this is serious Martha," Penelope told her, "Some teachers are extremely strict, Mary Hickens from across the street was hit by her teacher.

"Hit?!" Martha looked up at her older sister, eyes wide in shock, "I don't want to be hit, take me home!"

"Martha, you argued with Mother and Father for so long, I am not taking you home. You're going" Penelope scolded.

"Penelope, I don't want to get hit! I want to go back home where Mr Davis can teach me-" Penelope rolled her eyes, doing her best to drown out her sister's whining. Another conversation filling her ears as the snow fell.

"We're a bunch of ungrateful minxes!" A voice exclaimed.

"Don't use such dreadful expressions!" Another scolded.

"I like good strong words that mean something," The first voice fought back. Penelope knew that voice. She turned to her right to see Jo March, walking with Meg and two other young girls. A smile broke out on her face.

"Oh be quiet Martha!" Penelope shouted at her sister who was still rambling on. "Jo!" She called, dragging Martha with her as she ran over to the four girls. Jo looked over, noticing Penelope.

"Penny?!" Jo broke her hold with Beth and Meg. Penelope went to curtsey at Jo, a prominent smirk on her face.

"Oh, none of that, thank you" Jo pulled upwards, a serious look on her face. The two girls continued to catch up, both of their sisters standing and watching their exchange play out. The March sisters had never seen Jo get along with another girl that wasn't them. Martha was shocked to see the Jo March from the dance, she hadn't forgotten how she spoke Penelope.

"What's with the fancy dress?" Jo took notice of Penny's olive green gown.

"Oh well, it was a present and I thought I would take her out for a spin," Penny twirled slightly, "Do you like it?" She smiled.

"Not really," Jo shrugged, Penny getting knocked out of her trance. "These are my sisters, Meg, Beth and Amy"

"Do any of you go to school?" Martha chimed in, pushing her way in between Penny and Jo.