Ten Years and Ten Months Ago

Start from the beginning

Get it together. She tightened her grip on the phone and let out a breath. "I have to let you go, Will."

"Call me when you get home. I mean it."

"I will." She affirmed sauntering toward the black truck free of a grill guard and stylish rims. A green and black tassel hung from the rearview mirror which would've been helpful earlier but she digressed. "See ya."

"Later." He replied before she hung up. Goodbye and bye were two words no longer in their vocabulary. They brought up memories the siblings didn't wish to revisit.

She slipped her phone in her dress pocket with a happiness warming her chest. She loved the guy but her brother worried too much. He had nothing to fear. Jasper Young kept his nose clean, as was apparent from the report Brianna's mom gave her a day ago. He had a speeding habit but after a defensive driving course he'd learned. So, she wasn't going to fret about the one flaw. She was going to have fun. Tonight was going to be magical. She knew it.

Her gait slowed as she neared the truck and just like that the fire blazing inside her fizzled out. A girl appeared from behind the truck to claim the spot in front of him. She left no space between them as she linked her fingers behind his neck.

Tulip's smile was gone when she reached the front of the truck. "Hi." She waved at the pair awkwardly.

"Hey." His smile brightened up all his gorgeous features which hurt her just a little more. "You ready?"

She nodded. "I am." She looked at the girl still leaning into him. "Hi. I'm Tulip."

"Mia." She gave a quick wave. "You're pretty."

"Thanks," Tulip said lowly unsure what was actually going on. "So are you."

It was a lie. She was with her coal-black hair held back in a clamp, cut-off denim shorts and crop-top showing off her belly button ring letting the sun kiss as much of her butterscotch skin as possible. She was effortlessly beautiful without makeup and a stunning smile. She knew why she was Jasper's girlfriend.

Bitch you fine, too. Her conscious asserted. She knew it. His loss. Too bad he was already boo'd up.

"We need to hit the road." He gave Mia a quick kiss before she pulled away from him.

"Have fun ya'll," Mia said before strutting to her Kia Sportage two rows back.

Tulip opened the passenger door, "Your girlfriend's sweet."

"She's not my girlfriend." He corrected sliding under the steering wheel. "We're friends."

"Friend?" Tulip was thankful for her long legs as she climbed into the cab, "You always kiss your friends."

He turned the key in the ignition, starting the car. "Only the special ones.

"Hmm." She watched him intently to see if he was joking but no mischief lingered on his features. He was being honest. She didn't know what to do with that. He had special friends he kissed. So, was he a player or not.

"I got snacks for the ride." He gestured to the bag sitting between them. "Your Hot Fries are in there."

She pulled down the plastic bag to see them amongst the contents that were two drinks and a variety of candy. "You didn't have to."

"I wanted to." He shifted the gear to drive. "What's a road trip without goodies."

"It's just a forty-ish minute drive. Maybe more with traffic." Her smile was back. She didn't know if it was from the bag of chips she just opened or the charismatic driver. "This isn't a road trip."

"We're going from Prairie View to Houston. Across city lines. It's a road trip." He fed the engine some gas and pulled out the parking spot. "Find us some music TC. Be my DJ, please." He handed her his iPod.

She slipped the device out of his grasp. "My pleasure." 

Do you think Jasper is a player based on his kissing of 'special friends'?

What do you think will happen to Tulip's crush after learning about Mia?

Do you cancel shows after they've killed off a character you love?