Chapter Twenty-Two: Why Did You Bring In A Lawyer?

Start from the beginning

Declan and Jordan nodded then they both went through the doors.

Bennett looked at me, his eyebrows furrowed in concern. "Please tell me you went to sleep early last night."

"What-" I tried to stifle a yawn but failed. "-What gave me away?"

He smiled at that. "You've been looking more tired every day we got closer to the meeting. And I know you, Naomi. You overwork yourself to get the results."

"I'm taking that as a compliment," I declared.

"Take it however you'd like," he told me, the corner of his mouth lifting up to give me a soft smile. "Your work is going to pay off. I know you'll do great."

There were two knocks on the doors.

"We should head inside," Bennett said before looking back at me. "And tell me, at any time, if you want to leave. Declan will escort you back to the base."

"Don't worry Bennett, Jordan told me the safeword," I said as I rolled my eyes.

"Neapolitan," we said together.

He gave me a small smile and then opened the door for me.

We were on the ground floor of the empty warehouse. There were four long metal tables that were set up to make up a square. However, the tables were still a few feet away from each other so it didn't create any corners. Declan and Jordan were sitting at the table in front of us with two empty seats. When we sat down, the order from left to right was Bennett, me, Declan, and Jordan.

We were attending the bimonthly gang meeting where the four main gangs of the city gather to report on anything significant on the statuses of their territories.

Each table had someone sitting at it while there were people standing behind them either as support or protection. On the table to the left of our own, only one person sat at the table while the others stood behind him. He was an older burly man in his late 30s or early 40s with a long beard wearing a thick leather jacket. The men behind him wore the same jacket. They varied in facial hair and tattoos peeking under their jackets. He slightly turned his head in our direction and it felt like his eyes were on me.

"Carter Andrews has been the leader of the Ursa Grizzlies Biker Gang for decades," Jordan explained to me. "They're one of the oldest biker gangs in the country that even have brotherhoods in other states. They're even on good relations with the Phantoms Motorcycle Club."

"They're the ones we have the most trouble with," Bennett muttered. "Simply because we don't know what they do and how they deal with things. They keep to themselves and don't make trouble with the other main gangs simply because everyone knows not to mess with them. I believe they just show up for appearances at this point or else the other leaders would call them out on it."

They control the Northern part of the city which contains the industrial district where the city's trade is. Whether it be transported to and from the city by air, land, or sea, the city trade was connected in several ways: airport runways, trade highways, and seaports. It's no wonder they keep to themselves because they probably have underhand financial and trade dealings thanks to their territory.

Across from us was a table that also had a single person. He was a young Asian man who looked like he was in his late 20s or early 30s. He was clean-shaven with his hair slick back with gel. He wore a dark brown coat with a white button-down shirt underneath to which the shirt was popped open enough to see the tattoos on his chest. The people behind him varied from looking well dressed while others wore casual clothing. Some had their chests fully exposed to show the full body tattoos that looked like they were from the Yakuza, Japanese organized crime syndicates.