Chapter Twenty-One: Salads Are Great

Picture: Fanart of the 4M made by pekgna (same user for Instagram and Twitter)

Important Author's Note in the end about the future of TGGBB! (Cue dramatic music)

Previously on TGGBB:

Bennett and Jordan have gotten a bit suspicious with Naomi and Declan after they babysat Delilah. Valentine's Day may be fast approaching but that doesn't mean Naomi will allow the day to control her- rather than going to the dance, she would want to be with her friends. After leaving school, Bentley is there waiting for Bennett for another family meeting that only rises suspicion in the others.

And that's what you missed on GLEE!

~

I was dancing with Bennett.

We were back at the Christmas party, but the people, the lights, everything faded out to the background. None of it mattered. It was just us. I was back in that skirt dress with a black spaghetti strap top and knee-length ruffled black skirt. Bennett looked dashing in his suit - a navy-blue three-piece suit with a dark blue tie, with his hair styled back with gel.

He pulled me closer to him with his hand around my waist. I looked at him, my cheeks feeling warm, questioning but not resisting the action.

"Is something wrong?" I asked him.

"No," he said. "Everything is perfect."

I smiled back at him. "Even despite coming into this party against your will?"

He chuckled to himself. "Not anymore because it gave me this chance to dance with you."

"Since when were you so smooth, Bennett?" I asked, hoping the redness in my cheeks wasn't giving myself away as I tried to slide past what he said. "You're only showing how cool you are."

The confidence in him seemed to radiate outwards because, despite the faint blush on his cheeks, he gracefully avoided my futile attempt and let out a soft laugh.

"I have learned to accept who I am."

Bennett suddenly had us stop dancing. I looked at him and saw that he was smiling. But it wasn't a smile I have ever seen. It felt empty, forced, perhaps even pained.

"Have you?"

The floor suddenly caved in under only my feet. The only thing keeping me from falling was his hand holding mine. I cried out to Bennett as I tried to fight against it.

But then he let go.

My head was ringing as I was bombarded with the loud explosions of the fireworks, the colors filling the sky. I was in the Ferris wheel cart from my time at the fair with Jordan. I looked beside me to see Jordan looking wistfully at the sky, unfazed by the ear-piercing booms from the sky.

"Yeah, the colors," he said quietly with a sad smile.

I moved forward to Jordan and pulled him into a hug. He sat still for a moment before wrapping his arms around me. My body trembled as I tried to hold back the tears. Why couldn't I see it sooner? If only I was there in the beginning, he wouldn't be suffering like this.

He began to softly stroke my hair, his hold tightening around me. Jordan suddenly pulled back, looked at me with kind eyes, and began leaning forward to me.

Suddenly, the cart's safety bar suddenly vanished and the cart itself dipped forward. The large teddy bear won from the fair game fell, then Jordan and I followed after. Jordan pulled me to him and maneuvered himself in the air so that if we were crash on the ground, he would be the first to create the impact, not me. But then I realized that instead of falling towards the ground, we were suddenly flying up to the sky with the fair just small lights beneath us.