One

I sat on the steps in front of the house, beer bottle in my hand, hair sticking to the sweat on my face. I could barely keep my head up. Inside, the music boomed from the speakers stationed at every corner of the house, shaking the ground itself. My friend stumbled outside, crashing down beside me.

"Bro get back inside," she slurred. "Everyone's waiting for another table top dance."

I laughed, leaning on her shoulder. I looked up to see the other people outside; making out against a bush, falling asleep on top of the car, smoking in the corner by the gate.

"Is that Z?" I tried to sit up to get a better look but I couldn't seem to control my body.

I tried to focus harder. Eventually, I could see clearly again. Zion sat in the corner with another guy, holding up a blunt. He laughed as they took out a lighter, joking about something I couldn't hear from where I was.

"What the fuck is he doing." I felt a surge of anger through my body.

A year ago, I'd stopped him from smoking. I joked around, saying that smoking was probably my biggest turn off. But the next day, he'd sent me a picture of a bundle of weed in the toilet, saying that he'd quit.

"Anything for you."

And now, a couple months later, I was sitting on the steps of a stranger's house, drunk out of my mind, staring at him as he lit up a blunt, puffing out waves of smoke. I wanted to cry.

"Unbelievable." I tried to stand up, but my friend grabbed my wrist and pulled me back down.

"Stop, Kiana." She mumbled. "You're strangers now. He can do whatever the fuck he wants, it's not your business anymore."

She was right, but those words broke my heart.

I stood up anyway. Suddenly, I was sober enough to walk in a straight line without stumbling. I walked straight to Zion and grabbed the blunt out of his hand, throwing it to the ground.

"Kiana what the fuck." He stood up.

"Stop it." I said. "What is wrong with you."

"Nothing." He said, moving closer until he was standing inches away from me. "Abso-fucking-lutely nothing."

I fought back tears. "You quit."

"Yeah for you." he laughed a little. "Got no reason to stay quit anymore though, right?"

"Right." I whispered.

"Fuck out my face, Kia." His voice softened. "You're the reason I'm doing this shit again anyway."

I blinked. "What?"

"How else am I gonna forget the bitch that broke my heart." He looked me straight in the eye with a cold expression.

A couple seconds passed before he walked away towards the house, his friend following behind him. I couldn't move, my heels stuck to the ground.