16.

"KATNISS

"KATNISS.."

--¤☆¤--

The sounds of Wiress humming filled the uncomfortable air, making things slightly less tense. Leaning his head against a tree, Finnick watched as Athena and Katniss talked to each other happily. In their own little bubble. It was nice. Smiling at the girls, he twirled thumbs back and forth as an attempt to distract himself.

So many emotions and thoughts were coursing through him at the moment that he didn't know what to do other than fiddle with his fingers. He wanted to be by Athena's side. He did. But, he knew he had to respect her boundaries. Give her space and time. But, he felt better being within arm's length with her.

"If you keep on staring at her, she may just catch on fire." Peeta jokes, making him jump in shock.

"I'm not staring. I'm scanning the beach." Finnick lies, his cheeks turning a bright pink.

Lies. They both knew it. Looking at Finnick, Peeta chuckled softly as he could see the embarrassment in Finnick's eyes as he was caught staring at Athena. But Peeta would not blame him, he himself had been staring at Katniss. Sitting on the empty patch of sand next to Finnick, Peeta plays with some of the sand.

The grains slipped through his fingers making the young boy feel surprisingly relaxed at the moment. This was the calm before the storm. Everyone knew it, but chose to enjoy the calm and ignore the brewing storm. They needed this moment of calm.

"On the first night here. You mentioned that you didn't care about anyone in the arena, do you still feel like that?" Peeta asks, wiping his hands on his knees.

Straight to the point. Furrowing his brows at the boy, Finnick looks at him carefully before letting a small sigh escape his lips. Finnick knew that he had lied to Peeta and Katniss about not caring about anyone else in the arena, but he could help but be confused at the question. What was Peeta's motive? Did he have one? Or was he just being paranoid?

"What do you mean, Peeta?" Finnick says, tilting his head to the side.

"You said that you didn't care about anyone in the arena, but when you saw Athena. You seemed like you were really worried. Kinda contradicts what you said. So, do you still feel like that?" Peeta asks slightly smugly, his eyes focusing on Finnick's reaction.

Well shit. He got him there. Picking at his nails nervously, Finnick could feel Peeta's pestering stare lingering on him, but he refused to make eye contact with Peeta. He knew deep down that he would crack. But, he'd never say it aloud. Thinking to himself, he contemplated with himself on whether or not he should be honest with Peeta. Pro's, he gets it off his chest. Con's, Peeta uses it against him later on.

"No, it's complicated. I do care, but I know that I shouldn't. That's what can get you killed in here, iIt's a weakness." Finnick said, making Peeta scoff.