Chapter 9

First of all, I'm really sorry for the extremely late update and for this "Landfill" of a chapter. Writer's block got the best of me and my christmas vacation just started yesterday.

Rick can understand Daryl’s side; the presence of Rhett is understandably unnerving because a man that big can be a threat, even in the old world where you can talk before you engage in any form of brawl. In this world, talking is just a waste of time; it’s either fight each other or fight the dead. Rick is just confused to why Daryl abruptly ended their conversation and Rick still questions why he didn’t need someone to come with him. They have a buddy system and as far as Rick knows, Daryl is aware of that.  Rick trusts him to have an explanation. Maybe Daryl sensed that there was something wrong with the newbie Rick traveled with. Oh, how Rick wishes it were just that minimal reason.

The idle chatter toned down as Rick cleared his throat to get everyone’s attention, “I need to talk to y’all.” They all looked at him intently,” What happened to Daryl? Did something happen that I should know about?” Glenn sheepishly laughs, “No, as far as I know he was worried sick while you were out.” Carol nodded towards his direction, “Don’t worry about it too much, Rick... He’s…Just overwhelmed.” Carol says looking around their bigger group; meanwhile Maggie fidgets uncomfortably beside Glenn, “So, uh... Rhett... What’s your story?” She asks, not making eye contact with the taller man. Everyone turned towards him, “Well, not much…I came here with my Family and My best friend’s family. We traveled with 5 kids. We tried our luck with the CDC, unfortunately when we got there the place was burned to a crisp.” Glenn turned toward Rick with a knowing gaze, “Best friend?” Rick asks, a bitter taste lingering on his tongue. “Yeah, best friends since we were 6.” He answers casually, “Where are you originally from, man?” Abrahams asks. “North Carolina.” Rhett responds. “Hmmmm, we’ve got ourselves a North Carolina man. Heard y’all are great lovers.” Abraham teased with a tight smile, everyone tried to stifle his or her laughter “Abraham.” Rosita scolds, Rhett laughed genuinely, “The greatest” Rhett trails off. Rick smiles at the pleasant mood everyone was sporting.

Rick gestures for Rhett to sit down next to him on the couch, “I’m going to ask you something, Rhett and just tell me if the topic is too sensitive, I won’t push you to tell me something you don’t want to, okay?” Rhett squints and says, “Go on.” “You said you went here with…Your family…” Rick trails off, he clears his throat and followed what he just said with, “Where are they?” “To be honest, I don’t know either… We got out that house, it was messy.. I didn’t get the chance to see who went off with who” Rhett looked up at Rick, a flash of guilt crossed his features. Rick rested his chin on his palm and said, “Yeah, I know how you feel… I got into a coma before this whole thing happened, 3 months.” Rick curtly smiled at him. “Hey!” Abraham interrupted, “We’ll find them.” Abraham clasps his shoulder reassuringly.

The loud crash of the door caught the men’s attention; they immediately rushed toward it, ready to exterminate the perpetrator. It turns out that it was only Daryl; a sweaty walker gut covered Daryl but still him nonetheless.  He held up a few strings of squirrel and rabbit’s, “Who’s up for some stew?” he said happily, Rick smiled widely and half hugged the other man. “Thank you.” He whispered. He let go off him and clasped his shoulders proudly, Daryl smiled timidly and went past Abraham with a smirk, he thumped the carcass on the counter. Rhett walked up to him and said, “I-I could gut 'em if you want, the least I could do for what you did.” A timid smile plastered on his face, Daryl looked at him and could feel at the corner of his vision that Rick was watching their interaction so he wore his best plastic smile and said, “Yeah, here, man... “With that he handed the carcass towards the taller man’s direction.

“Where’d you go, Daryl? I was so worried 'bout you.” Rick said sincerely. “Nah, jus wanted to hunt, y’know.. To welcome our newest member here.” Daryl gestured towards the Rhett who is cutting the string on the animal’s feet. Rick turns his head towards Rhett with a quirked eyebrow,”Oh.” He replied. Rhett looked at them and smiled, Daryl smiled back. The redneck looked at Rick with a lingering stare and walked over to the living room non-chalantly.

I'll try my best next time, I'm really really sorry for this shit.