Chapter XVIII - The City of Starlight

When they had gone back to the hall, there wasn't anyone left, for it seemed like the rest of the Inner Circle had gone off to do other things. Feyre had slipped into a room first, having changed into a much more casual outfit than the regal dress she had adorned to greet them, now wearing black leggings and a light-weight navy blue sweater.

They walked onto the platform once again, and Feyre summoned her Illyrian wings, Brianna following suit. It was going to be just the two of them, it seemed.

Feyre glanced back at her, "Ready?"

Brianna nodded, "Right behind you."

And so they shot to the skies, Feyre leading the way, reeling in the familiarity of flying down to the streets of Velaris. Brianna had swooped right below her, and Feyre found how it looked as though the Syren was purposely slowing herself down for her, to which she smiled in a silent thanks, no doubt remembering how hard it had once been to keep up with Brianna before.

Now looking at the Syren from above at this slow and smooth pace, the both of them gliding in the air, just so that Brianna could have a good look at all that was around her, Feyre couldn't help but study her wings. At the intricate way in which Brianna's feathers weaved into one another, how the colours blended from darker to lighter shades of brown. She could almost imagine what the structure of her wings underneath all that plumage, the curve of her bones, sprouting from her back, into great big arches going so far beyond her, ending in delicate curved tips.

They flew at this smooth pace for a while, Feyre pointing out certain landmarks around the City it Starlight for Brianna; the Palace of Thread and Jewels, the Palace of Bone and Salt, a few theatres and market squares.

And then they landed on a bridge on the Sidra, earning quite a few stares from the passerbys. Some nodded at their High Lady graciously, while others full on gawked at Brianna; at her beauty, at her strange eyes, and at her massive wings, that the Syren had ruffled slightly upon landing, but then made disappear into nothing.

And when they turned, they found Rhysand standing there, grinning at his mate as though he had expected her to bring Brianna here. And with him, much to Feyre's amusement, was Azriel, who suddenly looked and felt very out of place. Though, Feyre noted how he had made sure no one could pick up on that, his expression as unreadable as ever, and how Brianna seemed completely unfazed by his presence too.

Whatever it was they had been busy with, it now looked like the High Lord and his spymaster would accompany them on their tour. Given the circumstances, it wouldn't be a surprise that the emissary to the Syrens wasn't accompanied by more people to wander unknown streets.

Then Rhys waved a hand at the buildings behind him.

"Here we have the Rainbow of Velaris, our artists quarter." He then glanced at Feyre, with whom he interlocked their arms, as they led the other two down into the colourful streets.

Feyre began telling Brianna how this place had become one of her most favourite spots in the whole city, explaining how she had always had a passion for painting and the arts in general. They walked past the countless galleries, supply stores, past numerous artists, potters and painters, all just as colourful as the quarter itself.

While Rhys and Feyre were in the lead, Azriel had lingered back, as Brianna had fallen behind, a bit preoccupied by looking all around her. Azriel noticed Brianna staring, looking around her at every passing fae, glancing into every shop they walked by too.

They hadn't really spoken since she had arrived in the Night Court, since she had kissed Dorian goodbye so feverishly. He had barely even greeted her when she had come, and now they were walking in silence, not that it seemed to bother Brianna, though Azriel felt a little guilty despite himself.