Chapter 12 - The Return

3 days earlier. Seamus POV

"How's he doing?!" I yell back to the unit. Mike it putting pressure on Y/N's wound as Buck rotates the gauze on his shoulder and Oliver continues to give him a transfusion.

"It's not good. Oliver may be giving him blood, but he's losing more than he's gaining." Mike calls back to me. Fuck, this isn't good. Hang in there, lad. I don't need to hand your mother a folded flag...

The base starts coming in to view and I turn back to the guys.

"We're almost there! Sitrep?!"

"He's still losing blood! We need to get him to Doc ASAP!" Buck exclaims. Just as we start going in for a hot landing to save time, I see some people I really didn't want to see.

"Shite..."

"What is it?!" Oliver calls

"It's them...get Y/N on a stretcher and prepare him to get moved. They need to see him as little as possible..." I say solemnly. Buck, Mike, and Oliver lift Y/N and place him onto a stretcher as Oliver prepares another blood bag for him. We land with a rough thud and Mike throws the doors open. All three of them start moving Y/N as I get out and approach the people...

"Hey! How was Y/N's first...mission..." Ash says as she sees Y/N start getting unloaded. Her face going from a smile to a shocked look.

"The lad did good. But while we were EVACing...he took a round for Oliver. If not for him, we might be carrying one stretcher and one body-bag..." I tell her. Ash puts her hands to her sides as Meru begins walking up to her.

"Hey, Mom! It's not fair you got to see Y/N fir-OH MY GOD!" She exclaims. She goes to rush the lad, but Ash wraps her in a hug as Meru begins breaking down.

"Let me go! He needs me! Oh God, what if he's dead?!" She panics. Her breathing becoming rapid as Ash tries to calm her.

"It's okay, dear. Y/N will come out of this. He's strong, you know this." Ash tells Meru. She keeps crying, but turns to me and breaks from her Mum's grip.

"What happened?! Tell me! Is he gonna be okay?!" Meru begins to hit my plate-carrier, a clank being heard from her balled fist hitting the steel plates installed in my vest.

"The lad saved Oliver, better known as Lion. If he didn't take that round, we'd be carrying a body bag and a wounded soldier. Y/N took a 30.6 round, so it went straight through. Oliver has been giving him blood, so that will buy him time." I inform her. Luckily, my gas mask was still on, hiding my eyes as I fight back tears.

"This...this is your fault...if you had spotted that sniper, he wouldn't be fighting for his life..." Meru says as Ash starts to pull her off of me.

"Meru, that is enough! Things like this happen. It sucks, but it's true!" She explains to her daughter. I place my hand on my mask, sliding over my face and pulling it off, holding it in my left hand.

"Nah, Ash...she's right...It was my job to get everyone back unscathed, but here we are...the best we can do is hope." I say as tears begin running down my cheeks. When Meru sees this, she begins to relax before dropping to her knees and crying.

"Ash, take Oracle back to her room. She needs time to process this." I say. Eliza nods at me before pulling Meru back to her feet and walks away.

'...Dammit, lad. Stop being like your father...' I think to myself before remembering back to the days of his youth.

Flashback. 10 years ago. Hereford, England. Sledge POV

I had just gotten back from an assignment. I was rather exhausted as I sat down in the Mess Hall. But a small voice erased almost every inch of my exhaustion.