Chapter 1 - A Family That Stays Together

{A/N Ignore the shirt. I plan to keep this as wholesome as possible}

Y/N POV

It has been a few years since Meru was brought into our family. And since that day 5 years ago, she's really become like a sister to me and a daughter to mom. There was a small situation where Meru didn't disguise herself one morning and Mom saw her true form, but Mom just smiled, hugged her, and said that she needed to be more careful, since that form may have scared any normal person.

It was Meru's first year of high school and my second year. We were always near one another. If a sub came into one of our classes, we would ask to go to the others class to study in there. We were actually pretty popular and were called the 'Dynamic Duo' so the subs knew we would behave and do what needed to be done.

It was about 2 months into her first year and we were at lunch. I was sitting with some friends of mine while Meru was sitting with hers. As the bell rang, signaling us to get back to class, Meru walked up to me.

"Hey, Y/N! I have a question."

"Alright, shoot."

"Well...how, uh...how can you tell when you...like someone?" She asked. Even with how good she's gotten at maintaining her disguise, her face became red and her yellow eyes started piercing through. Seeing this, I stood directly in front of her so no one can see her dropping her guard.

"Meru, your disguise." I inform her. She quickly brings it back up and apologizes. I pat her head, letting her know it was okay.

"I'm not really sure. I've had a few crushes, but never a full-blown girlfriend." I tell her. She starts touching her fingertips together and looking down at my response.

"But from what I've heard, your chest feels tight and you want to spend every moment of your day with that person. Everything they say and do is interesting and they'll always seem funny. But that's just secondhand experience." I tell her. She smiles and brings her hands out of her hoodie to hug me.

"Thanks, Y/N. That helped me a lot." She said. I pat her head again, causing her to nuzzle into my chest.

"No problem, Meru. Now get to class. Don't wanna be late, right?"

"Oh shit, you're right! Thanks again!" She said as she ran down the hall. I smile, noticing she's growing up and developing crushes. But I couldn't help but to feel a sinking feeling in my chest...weird.

I arrive on time to my next class. Ugh...Math...I fucking hate math. The teacher walks in and takes his seat, going down his list for roll call. Before he could reach my name, a girl sits next to me. She looked pretty cute. She had shoulder-length brown hair, brown eyes, glasses, and an outfit that screamed 'I'm popular'. I didn't care, though. I'm just trying to get through the day.

Class went by without any changes. Until that same girl stopped me on my way out.

"Hey, Y/N. You mind hanging back for a second? I gotta talk to you." She asks me. I could see the nervousness on her face, so I agree to make her feel a bit more at ease. I sat back down for a few minutes until she walked up to me.

"I know you may not know me, but I just wanted to say...I like you!" She exclaimed. It felt as if my heart had been shot with an arrow at her remark. However, I don't show it. I simply give her a smile.

"I appreciate it, but how about I get your name? That's kinda important." I tell her. She jumps, realizing she didn't even introduce herself.

"Oh! My name's Chelsea! Chelsea Forsythe! Sorry about that."

"That's fine, Chelsea. Tell you what, how about we walk to the local diner after school? You know, get to know each other and such." I offer. She practically beams so bright, it was like a flashbang went off directly in my face.