Chapter 16 : A Christmas Surprise

Start from the beginning

"Oh, sorry Mr Henriksir. I was actually hoping to -"

"Oh of course, of course." he waved a hand and chuckled good-naturedly, "How could I be so silly. Go crazy my dear, I live for the look of pure joy in a child's eyes when they see sweets! Why do you think I make 'em?" his eyes twinkled and for just a moment, he looked younger than he was.

I grinned gratefully and looked around the shop, collecting an assortment of chocolate bars, fudge, caramel, chocolate covered strawberries, rock candy, and all kinds of sweet treats - well, as many as I could afford anyway. Halima had given me a small pouch of money to spend, but I didn't intend to use it all now on chocolate. I meant to buy her something for the special day, Christmas, too.

I'd been told that's what people here do to celebrate the holidays; of course I'd never heard of Christmas before, coming from a Forest, so that was news to me!

"Thank you very much, Mr Henriksir." I smiled warmly as I took the paperbag full of treats from the counter and slid across the money.

"It's been a pleasure Iduna. Say hello to Halima for me and good day to you!"

"Good day to you too!" and I waved to him as I left the shop.

Why did people in Arendelle have to be so kind? It made me feel conflicted about what had happened that fateful day several months ago. Of course I still wanted to go home, but there were moments when I didn't mind if I really did have to stay here forever.

I walked back to Halima's house with a fresh spring in my step, the bag of candy clutched against my chest as if it were a priceless treasure that needed protecting at all costs. Some people I recognised would wave to me or wish me "Happy Holidays" and I'd return the kind gestures, feeling very much loved in the Kingdom I felt very out of place in.

But just as I turned a corner onto our street, I heard a peculiar scratching kind of sound coming from somewhere nearby me. I paused midstride and scanned the street with a knitted brow.

The sound came again, only this time along with a strange panting.

My eyes came to rest on a small, cardboard box; it was covered with frost and looked as stiff as wood. Still, I crouched beside it, set my bag of sweets down on the icy flagstones, and tried to pry open to top flaps. They seemed to be frozen shut and I was about to give up when they suddenly loosened and opened, causing me to stumble backwards into a pile of snow that had been brushed back off the street.

I lifted my head out of the snowy mound and stared at the small box, sitting a little way away from me. Canting my head in curiosity, I got to my feet, brushed myself down and stepped back over to the box.

After folding back the flaps, I peered inside and came face to face with this fluffy, tiny ball of fur. It was staring at me with these simply stunning, pale blue eyes, framed with dark brown fur speckled with white, cream and apricot. The little pink nose twitched adorably as it sniffed my face and it's floppy, soft ears looked too big for it's body.

The creature mirrored me and canted it's head to the side, giving an interested whine.

A smile broke my face and I reached into the box to pull the small thing out, cooing, "Oh aren't you the most gorgeous little thing I've ever seen! Yes you are! Oh yes you are!"

It rested it's delicate little head on my shoulder and I gave a delighted gasp, stroking it's back with a mittened-hand. I had no idea what this creature was, but I loved it.

It didn't seem to have a home, except for that crude cardboard box, so I decided I'd take it back to Halima's.

Tucking my hands under it's forelimbs and holding it not quite at arms length, I said, "You want to come home with me? We've got a nice warm fire going whenever we are home and you look simply freezing, poor thing."