Chapter 10: "The Yin Yang Looking For Yui"

Start from the beginning

●●●

"So, you're looking for the land of Kutou?" The man asked Miaka once more. "Yes," she confirmed. The man pointed at the forest. "Head that way. There's a shortcut through the woods that will get you there in no time."

'I have to cover as much ground as I can before Tamahome, or worse, Mi-nee, comes after me.' Miaka shuddered, thinking about what will be her twin sister's response to her actions. "Thank you sir," she said in gratitude, before heading towards the said directionーto the forest.

"This place is creepy," Miaka murmured, looking around before carrying on her way. Suddenly, someone blocked her path, not too long before she continued. Standing before her was none other than Miya, her twin sister, whom she feared being caught by just earlier. Miaka took a step back upon seeing her twin sister's raised eyebrow and crossed arms.

"Well? Stu. pid. Brat," Miya inquired and took a step forward. Miaka felt scared upon hearing what she said, quickly confessing as Miya took another step forward. "M-Mi-nee... I'm sorry, I just... I just don't want you and the others to get hurt because of me," Miaka mumbled regretfully with her head hung down, taking another step back. "Oh?" Miya spoke with a jaded tone. "Did Chichiri tell you something?"

Miaka sweatdropped. "Yeah... on our way back to Tamahome's house. He saiー"

"Yeah, I know," Miya cut her off. "Miaka, he just meant that you should take your role as the priestess of Suzaku seriously. Not only those near you, but many others are suffering in the hands of the Kutou army as we speak. Stupid brat, do you know why I gave the priestess' role to you? I want you to grow up and see the real world."

Miaka was offended by her twin sister's words. "But I am taking it seriously!"

Miya shook her head. "No you're not," she said with a disapproving tone. "I-I just got here! Besides, I've found Chichiri, didn't I?" Miaka protested. Miya disagreed once more. "No you didn't. He found you."

"Mi-nee, please, just let me go! I-I really need to get to Kutou! Yui... Yui, she..." Miaka trailed off, about to cry. Miya raised an eyebrow upon hearing their best friend's name. "Yui? What about Yui? What happened to her?"

Miaka told her how she didn't find their best friend back at their world, and how she thought of the possibility that Yui might become the priestess of Seiryuu, thus making her their enemy. Miya's eyes widened in surprise as she slowly processed the new information. Then she recalled how she got in the book again. "Miaka... do you know how I got in the book again in the first place?"

"...How?"

"Yui tricked me into coming here!" Miya hissed and told her twin the story. After that, she calmed down. "Though, I think her actions were a little odd that time."

"Then that's more reason to go to Kutou! We have to ask her personally!" Miaka exclaimed, determined. Miya shook her head again. "Nuh-uh. I'm not coming with you. I'm going back to Tamahome's house. However," she fished out two pairs of yin yang pearl earrings in her pocket. "With this, we can communicate with each other telepathically. We can also hear what's going on over each other's line, like a phone. Just press the earring you'll wear to your left ear to call me, because the one you'll wear to your right will become fake, per my... enchantment. I made it like that so others will think that it's just an ordinary pair of earrings."

Miya gave Miaka a pair, as Miaka shook her head and stared at the earrings in amazement. "Mi-nee, how did you make these?"

Miya ignored her twin's question. "No one must know how it functions... no one, not even Yui nor Tamahome," She warned instead, wearing the other pair of earrings. She ruffled her twin's hair, before teleporting. "I'll be going now. Be careful, you stupid brat. Call me as soon as you get there."