Chapter 3 - Small Talk

I slowly walked towards the table and sat in the empty chair across from Zane, feeling his eyes on me the entire time. His gaze both intimidated me and made my body feel heated, causing me even more confusion and mixed emotions than I'd had previously.

Once I was seated and scooted myself under the table, a couple of Omegas appeared in the room with several large platters – one held a basket of hot, buttered rolls, while the others held a large bowl of fresh salad, various condiments and sauces, and a pitcher of ice water.

"Bring me a glass of whiskey over ice, and perhaps a glass of wine for the lady," he told one of the Omegas before shooting me a wink.

I cringed internally at the way he ordered the Omegas rather than asking politely, although I wasn't sure what I'd expected – he was Zahra's brother after all. I knew all too well how she viewed Omegas, and she would've only developed such views under the influence of her home-pack and family.

"Perhaps not," I spoke up, not wanting alcohol to interfere with my judgement around my newly found mate. Besides, I had a very important job to do in the morning – I wouldn't want to risk alcohol interfering with that either.

The Omegas finished setting everything on the table and then paused, seeming conflicted about whether or not they should listen to me since an Alpha had just given them an order.

Zane chuckled lowly, "What's wrong? Can the little lady not handle her alcohol?"

I wasn't one to have a temper, but something about his words and tone lit a small fire in me. I refused to let this man think that I was fragile or weak.

"Make it a gin and tonic," I added quickly as I shot Zane a glare. The Omegas nodded eagerly before quickly leaving the room, likely fearing that one of us would change our minds.

"You like a challenge I see," Zane said with a satisfied smirk.

"I guess you could say that," I mumbled as I reached out to grab the pitcher of water and pour myself a glass. If I was going to drink, I needed to at least stay hydrated.

"What else do you like?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

I took a roll out of the basket in front of me and set in on my plate before dishing out some of the salad and pouring dressing over it, "Food."

Zane chuckled, "See? We have something in common after all."

I laughed sarcastically, "I'm sure that's the only thing."

"Don't be so sure. I'm full of surprises, Skylar," he said, his voice carrying a seductive tone.

Before I could think of how to respond, the Omegas reentered the room with our drinks and several steaming plates of food – freshly cooked rotisserie chicken, baked potatoes, and some sort of casserole that I couldn't quite identify.

I quickly reached out for my drink and chugged it, suddenly realizing I'd probably need it to get through this dinner with Zane. The conflicting emotions were too much. The bond was too much. He was too much.

"Another one, please," I said to the Omega nearest to me with an apologetic smile.

The Omega left the room and then returned with my drink in record time. I smiled again and gave her a soft 'thank you' before she exited once more, and Zane and I were left to our meal.

"So, you're from Moon Wave?" Zane asked as he began to sip his drink and dig into his meal.

"What gave that away?" I joked, assuming he was referring to my kindness towards the Omegas.

He blinked a few times, "Earlier you said that Alpha Ryder had sent you here."

"Oh...right," I replied. I'd completely forgotten that I mentioned that.