A Meeting with Edna Mode

2nd POV

"I'm disappointed. I expected a task like this would've been simple, for you."

The harsh, gravelly tone of an elderly man stuck the woman's ears. His footsteps, going back and forth across the room as he paced, added to the tense atmosphere. She was wise enough to keep her head down, but her expression held its sourness.

"I didn't expect Supers to show up, for something as little as a diary getting stolen-"

"That doesn't matter."

He cut into her sentence, voice holding no lightheartedness in it. "Save your excuses."

She bit her tongue.

"I made it clear that I need that diary. It holds the key to completing my project, the project that's been my life's goal for decades now. And you failed to retrieve it."

"It's not like the book was ruined. I can go get it again." She interjected.

"You think I trust you to collect it, again? I am no fool." He stopped pacing. "You've had your chance."

She seethed, but before she could speak up again, he continued.

"However...it seems your trip wasn't all in vain." His tone changed, and she could tell he was smiling.

"The Water of Life appearing there was not predicted, but very welcomed. We are ever closer to capturing her."

"But...we still don't know where she's currently living. Or what school she goes to." The woman mustered enough courage to look up, taking in the appearance of her superior. Though he seemed as if he could wither away at any moment with his body hunched over, leaning on his cane with almost all of his weight, she knew better than most that he carried far more power than any average person.

"Trying to find one person in Metroville is like trying to find a needle in a haystack."

"I am well aware." He tsked, using a patronizing tone that made her fists clench. "That is why your helmet was created with the functions it has."

He walked over to his desk, looking at the object in question. "None of my own have properly seen the Water of Life's appearance in person, except for you. I will take the footage that was recorded by your helmet, and we will narrow down our search."

He turned around to face his underling, and she lowered her head again.

"Her facial structure and body type underneath the costume, her eye color, her height...we will enter all of the information into the city's database, and comb through every person documented."

He hummed, shaking his head. "It will be a tedious process, but it is the best option for now."

"...Then, what you want me to do?"

"Return home. Wait on standby. Resume your civilian lifestyle." He turned to walk around his desk, before taking a seat in his chair.

"I will notify you on whatever you need to do, should I believe you to be useful for it. You are dismissed."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reader's POV

"The criminal escaped, but thanks to the efforts of The Dash and Whirlpool, the diary of Thomas Tudor was kept out of their possession. There is still speculation circling as to why a diary would be the target of an act like this, but police are investigating the matter thoroughly."