The Truth's Out

Dash just dropped me off from our evening voyage around the city. We didn't do much after leaving the park, just talked as Dash drove wherever. It wasn't so much as us talking, as it was me asking him questions about his superhero life.

I know he's accomplished great things, but I only knew as much as the public knew, most likely less. I wanted to hear at least a few of his stories, ones that he was willing to share of course. And, boy was he willing to share.

~

Dash started with the time he was first genuinely allowed to use his powers, though he was more or less forced to. I heard about "Syndrome", but only from what he was revealed about him in the news. The biggest thing I could remember vividly was seeing the damage his Omnidroid caused in downtown Metroville. The Incredibles and Frozone stopped it, saving the city. That day was the day I really started liking them all, and superheroes in general.

Though, Mom and Dad weren't so happy. How they exactly acted slipped my mind, but I can recall them calling superheroes "tools"...whatever that meant.

It's only because of Syndrome and what he did, that Dash proved he could handle being in sports and not using his power to his advantage. That and how the government and some politicians started viewing Supers in a more positive light, were some of the only good things to come from the aftermath of Syndrome.

But superheroes were still banned, up until the Incredibles and some other Supers stopped Evelyn Deavor from killing the leaders of the some other countries. It was at that point, that people realized the world...needed Supers. At least a little bit. Dash told me Evelyn wasn't as unhinged as Syndrome was, or at least, she wasn't as zany. She was a smart cookie too, having invented advanced hypnosis technology that the world wasn't ready for. And wouldn't ever be ready for, in my eyes.

Regardless, it's thanks to Evelyn that Supers got unbanned. Ironic, since she did what she did with Devtech's Everjust to make the Super ban permanently in effect.

Dash told me about other criminals he and his family have come across. The Underminer, who they caught a few months after the Everjust incident. Bomb Voyage, who they caught a year later. Baron Von Ruthless, who's still at large. But he hasn't done anything in these recent two years, so the family is wondering if he's chosen to give up...or is planning something big. Only time will tell.

That was it for the villains who weren't jokes. The Incredibles have handled a lot of minor crimes, like heists and hostage situations. Those weren't minor to the eyes of the common, but to superheroes who've fought giant robots and brainwashed Supers, those types of crimes were tame.

~

My admiration for Dash grew, as it did with his family. He told me that after his family finds out I'm a Super, maybe his mom and dad would tell me stories about all the things they've done well before they had Violet and Dash. I greatly hoped so.

But in the meantime...I had to do this.

I closed the front door. Anxiety started creeping up my chest, but I tried to calm myself. Auntie would be ok with this...she had to be. It's not like I can get permission to date Dash from my parents. I wouldn't want them in particular to know anyway, for his safety.

I sent her a message informing her I was home, and went to my room to kick off my shoes. I undressed and slipped into my nightclothes: a shirt and simple pair of shorts. Auntie wouldn't be home for a while, as she told me in the morning before I went to school that she'd have to work til late, so I had time to myself.

It let me think about how I could tell her all this. Dash and me together...it was still unreal. But, it all felt so right.

I glanced over at the teddy bear he gave me, it's Incredibles mini t-shirt now holding a lot more meaning. I picked it up from its seated position on the other side my bed, and pressed my face into it, smiling into its fur.