Discovery

I've been in...a funky state of mind ever since then.

Dash did cheer me up; I haven't cried since the day he hugged me, but I haven't been in a sunshiney mood either. The knowledge that my folks could have abandoned me, after all of these years of me assuming they loved me despite the things they've done, hit harder than I could've ever imagined it would.

I felt lethargic, sad, and overall just...not interested in anything. I haven't been talking much to Dash, Auntie, or Minerva. My appetite's fallen again too, but I still kept eating the food I was given anyway, since it was kind of required of me.

Dash fortunately hasn't been subjected to my behavior much, since school takes so much time out of the day, and his visits with me have been getting cut short. Something about "family business", he says. Auntie hasn't been coming by all that much either, but I don't blame her for it. I think she's been working with the police regarding my parents and custody of me, with she having a job on top of it all. I'm glad she hasn't been here as much as Dash, since I know she has more important things to do.

But, I've started to believe that me being cooped up in this hospital for as long as I have is what's largely contributing to my bad state. So when Minerva and another doctor came to tell me that I'm being released today, I couldn't help but smile.

Finally, freedom.

~~~

"My my...I haven't been in this neighborhood in some time."

'Same.' I thought as I watched the houses pass by through the passenger window. Even though I've lived here for all of my life, the time I spent away from it all made everything feel...foreign.

But I was happy that I was out of the hospital, and out of that hospital gown. I was wearing the clothes I came to the hospital in last week, them thankfully being cleaned, but I couldn't wait to have an actual shower and wear something else.

Dash was in class right now, but I wanted to share me being released with him, so I sent him a text.

> "i got released from the hospital!"

A minute passed before he responded.

Dash: "that's awesome! your aunt taking you to her place now?"

> "yeah. we're going to my house now, so i can pack some clothes and stuff to take over there."

I sent another message as an afterthought.

> "i'm gonna pick up that letter too"

Dash: "nice. after you read it, can you tell me what it says?"

Hmm...I have an idea. Before I could speak, Auntie just so happened to talk first.

"Who are you texting?"

"Dash." I answered, and she chuckled.

"I thought so."

I bit my lip as I mulled over whether I should ask this now or later. She just met him...but maybe she'd be ok with it?

"Auntie? Could Dash come over later to see me?"

"Of course."

She immediately answered, smiling. Well...nevermind, that was easy. I went back to my phone.

> "do you want to come over afterschool, so we can read it together?"

... ... ...

Dash: "sure! is your aunt cool with that?"

> "yea. i'll send you the address"