Embrace

I woke up Monday morning with a pit in my stomach. As much as I hated school, I hated having to play catch-up even more.

I don't have Cam's number, but I could ask Dash to see if he can bring me any homework assignments we get assigned in science. Maybe he could ask Cam to do the same for history...if Cam will even be at school this week.

I resigned myself to spending the morning alone, since Auntie told me she would have to go to work early, and school was still in session for Dash. At least I had TV now, so I wasn't that bored.

Time went by slowly. I got up to use the small toilet room attached to my room, which was a touch awkward but I got through it, and Minerva soon came into my room hauling in a small tub filled with soap and warm water, along with a few washcloths, before leaving to give me some privacy. I was all too happy to clean myself as best I could, and after I was done I did feel more refreshed, but I never thought I'd miss taking an actual shower.

A while later, Minerva came back to take the tub and washcloths, left me a tray full of breakfast. I took my time eating, nibbling and drinking my milk while watching some cartoons. I...felt like a kid again, sort of, that got to stay home from school because they're sick. It was comforting in a way I couldn't explain, but it lifted my mood.

The afternoon rolled around, and outside of another nurse coming in to take some blood from me for testing, it was peaceful. I've been dozing off throughout the day, and was currently falling asleep again, until I heard my door being opened.

I opened my eyes to look right into ones I'm becoming more and more familiar with. I wasn't complaining at all.

"Hi." Dash flashed his award-winning smile full of white teeth, closing the door behind him. There wasn't anything off about him, but I did immediately notice something bulging in and partially sticking out of one of the pockets in his blue varsity jacket.

"Hi...what's that?" I asked, unconsciously tilting my head. Dash's bright face didn't change in the slightest as he came closer to my bed, reaching into the pocket to pull the fuzzy object out.

"It's a gift. For you." As he held it in front of me, my eyes slightly widened.

It was a teddy bear! Medium-sized, brown, very fluffy, and adorable. But what my eyes honed in on, was the mini red shirt the stuffed animal wore. I reached out to take it before I realized it, and was gazing down at it in my lap, my smile growing.

"An Incredibles shirt?" I looked up from the tiny 'i' emblem to Dash, who was gazing off to the side with his face red, but his smile was still present. What a cutie.

"I saw it in a store and figured...why not buy it?" He shifted back and forth on his heels, moving his eyes to peek at me.

"...Do you like it?

"I do." I hugged it closer to me. "I love the Incredibles, and...it's cute..."

The blush on Dash's face intensified, and as I was fawning over the teddy, I heard something so low my ears just barely managed to pick it up.

"...Not as cute as you..."

"Hm?" I blinked. "Did you say somethi-"

"Nope! Nothing." Dash cut me off quickly, chuckling...nervously? He turned around to grab a chair and pull it closer to my bed, as I stared on in confusion.

"Alright..." I glanced at the bear, and a question sprung into my head. "Hey, Dash? What is this a gift for?"

"...Well, I've honestly been meaning to get you something to help you feel better. I know being cooped up in this place hasn't been that enjoyable."