Chapter 4

As we say our vows, I see a familiar glint in Eztli's eyes. I don't have to wonder where I've seen that glint before. I saw it in the eye of the priest who sacrificed Anacoana and Citlalee, the man who burned a hole in my heart with the heat of ten thousand suns. I need to get through the wedding and then I can find a way to kill him like he killed my parents. I don't care that I'm risking my life, revenge will be sweet.

The rest of the wedding goes fast and we arrive back at the house before sun down. "This is the happiest day of my life!" Eztli cries. Easy for him to say. Unlike me, he had a choice. We stay up and talk for a while before going to bed at sun down.

Chantico and Tenoch are out for the day so it's just me and my new husband at the house. "Here Eztli, drink this," I say. "You look thirsty." He takes the drink. It's not water though, it'll make him drunk. He drinks it all. "Can I have some more please Honey?" It's 'Honey' now is it? Must be the drink. I give him the rest of it. He is definitely drunk so I take him outside where there are more people. You are sacrificed if you kill another person, steal someone elses crops or are found drunk in public. This way, I won't be sacrificed for killing another person but he will be for being drunk. "Sir, you're going to have to come with us. Being drunk in a public place is a crime punishable by death and you are no exception," an officer orders. Eztli goes with them and my plan is almost complete. Tomorrow at sunrise, the gods will be fed and I will have my sweet revenge.

This time Eztli is on the altar and being sacrificed. This time I'm not watching in horror, but in satisfaction. Eztli has met the same fate as my parents. When it's over, his parents and I go home. They will never know how he got drunk. I'll never tell a soul.