14

[in honor of getting my new kitten, jupiter, here's an early chapter]
---
nov. 12th, 2038.
chicken feed.
flurries.
8:32 a.m.
---

Hank stands nearby Chicken Feed, where he and Connor had agreed to meet the day before. His arms are crossed as he looks at the snow adorned roads. Connor approaches him from behind and Hank turns. The two smile at one another before Hank walks over and pulls Connor into an embrace. "How are you, Connor?"

"I'm doing well. Markus asked me to attend the negotiations with him."

"Well hopefully, they won't try to pull something. The American government is crazy."

Connor smiles at the older man. "Hopefully."

"So, you need a place to stay, right?" Hank asks.

"Markus offered me a place to stay but I turned him down in favor of staying with you."

"Alright, let's get going."

"Where's (y/n)?" Connor opens the passenger door to Hank's car.

"He's in Canada. Had to pick up his friend."

"Who?"

"Walt. He sent him up to Canada when everything was getting bad down here."

"When will he be back?"

"I don't know. Do you wanna call him?"

"Yes." Connor nods with his soft eyes looking at the older man.

Hank hands his phone over to Connor as it rings. Hank starts up his car and heads home. The phone stops ringing and (y/n) picks up.

"(y/n)?"

"Hank, why do you sound weird?"

"It's Connor."

(y/n)'s voice perks up, "Connor? Is Hank hurt? How do you have his phone?"

"Hank is fine."

"Oh my god! You freaked me out, Connor." (y/n) starts laughing.

"I didn't mean to worry you."

"It's alright, Connor. So, what do you need?"

"I wanted to know when you'd be back from Canada."

"Oh, I should be-" the phone cuts out. "Only a little-" A scream comes from (y/n)'s end before the phone call ends.

"(y/n)!" Connor shouts into the phone.

"What happened?!"

Connor answers in a dejected tone, "I don't know."

Hank sees the look on Connor's face and knows he has to comfort him. "It's probably just reception. He'll call back, he always does." Hank flashes a small smile.

"Okay." Connor nods. He looks down at his lap and plays with his hands. He stays like this even when he gets to Hank's house.

As Connor takes a seat on Hank's couch, Sumo jumps onto the couch and lays on him. Connor smiles at the massive dog.

"You don't need to sleep, right?" Hank scratches the back of his neck.

"I don't need to sleep." Connor nods.

"Then you can just hang out on the couch with Sumo. I'm sure he'll enjoy it." Hank walks off into his room to change out of his layers.

---

"Walt!" (y/n) yells. "I was talking to someone."

"I didn't mean to scare you."

"It's fine but now my phone's in the river!" (y/n) sighs. "Connor probably thinks I'm in danger thanks to you." He huffs.

"I'm sorry, (y/n)." Walt lowers his head.

"Like I said before, it's fine. I just won't have a phone 'til we get to Detroit." (y/n) sighs. "Let's get back on the road."

---

"You okay, kid?" Hank asks Connor.

Connor had been sat in the same place for almost four hours. Sumo had laid on him for those four hours as well only getting up twice for water. "I'm worried."

"That's natural. I'm worried about him, too, but I know he can handle himself."

Connor nods. He keeps his head low and his eyes on Sumo.

"You care about him, right?"

Connor's eyes go wide as he cocks his head Hank's way. "Of course I do. Don't you?"

"Yes, I do. He's dear to me and obviously, you're in love with the guy."

"What?" Connor shouts.

"You love him. I can see it, Connor. I may be old but I'm not blind. You guys are always blushing like idiots when you're together."

"Hank!" Connor's cheeks begin to turn blue.

"See! I'm not wrong, am I?"

Connor pauses, looking at the older man. "No." He says quietly.

Hank laughs, "It's alright." He gets up and pats Connor's shoulder. "I'm just giving you shit."

Connor looks at him puzzled.

"I mean I'm messing with you, you know?"

Connor nods, "I know what you mean."

"Want to come with me for lunch?" Hanks throws a coat over his shoulders.

"I don't need to eat, Hank."

"You can come with anyway."

---

"I'm gonna stop at Hank's first, okay?" (y/n) asks.

"You're the driver," Walt replies.

"Just don't want them worrying."

(y/n) pulls into Hank's driveway and Sumo walks over toward the door. (y/n) drags Walt behind him before knocking on the door. Immediately the door swings open and (y/n) is pulled into an embrace. Connor had pulled (y/n) close to him as soon as he knew it was him.

"Woah," (y/n) chuckled. "Miss you, too, Connor." He hugs back.

"I thought you were hurt," Connor speaks into the nape of (y/n)'s neck.

"We were worried about you," Hank adds walking toward the two.

Connor pulls away, "I'm glad you're okay."

"I'm sorry about hanging up." (y/n) points to Walt, "This one made me drop my phone into a fucking river!"

Hank laughs, "Real smooth."

"After this, I'm on my way to get one. Want to come with?" (y/n) looks at Hank and Connor with hopeful eyes.

"I'm sure he does." Hank answers. "I'll stay here and you can drop off Connor tomorrow. I'm sure he'd enjoy a playdate." Hank pushes Connor into (y/n) and closes the door.

"I guess you can stay with us, then." (y/n) walks back to the driver's side of his car.

Connor follows close behind, "I'm sorry."

"Eh, don't worry about it. This is more on Hank than you plus I'd love to show you around my house." (y/n) gives a reassuring smile to the android before climbing into his car.

After browsing for a phone then browsing around the store, the three head to (y/n)'s home. (y/n) decided to get Connor and Walt phones as well, though his wallet would hurt, at least he'd know where his best friends were. "You guys are gonna owe me for those." He jokes but both androids stare blankly back at him.

"Anyway," he attempts to change the subject. "Do you want a tour of my house?"

Connor nods with a small smile, "Yes, please."

"Okay!" (y/n) shows the android around the downstairs, the basement, and the upstairs. He gets to the garden and tries to go over it quickly.

Connor notices (y/n)'s state, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

The two head back inside and (y/n) heads upstairs. "That was the tour." He smiles softly. "I'm going to take a shower. You two have fun."