TWENTY-FOUR (EDITED)

Start from the beginning

"Who said anything about Cockneys?" Arthur asked.

"Who else?" Esme asked, finally speaking up.

"You know who did it, do you?" Polly asked as her and Tabitha's heads turned to John's wife.

"No, she doesn't know who did it," John answered for her.

Right on cue Thomas entered, making Tabitha softly sigh in relief. He stood at the door frame, glad her and the family were okay. There was anger inside, knowing there were people he knew that were able to hurt his wife to get to him. They glanced at each other for only a minute before turning towards Esme.

"I'm told only family are allowed to speak, and that only Tabitha's an exception," Esme said, turning back to her book.

"Everyone's allowed to speak," Thomas said, wrapping his arm around Tabitha's waist. "On your feet, Esme. Let's hear what you have to say."

"I speak for our household," John answered for her. "So could--"

"John, this company is a modern enterprise and believes in equal rights for women," Thomas cut his brother off before looking back at Esme. "On your feet, Esme."

Esme got up from the stairs and stood beside the railing, addressing the family. Polly went to sit at the table, leaving Thomas alone in the door frame.

"I'm not a blood member of this family, but perhaps indeed because I'm not a member, I can see things in a different light. So I'll get to my point," Esme said.

"That would be nice," Polly commented, lighting a cigarette.

"As my husband said, Shelby Company Limited is now very successful. But London..." Esme started as Thomas lit himself a cigarette. "I have kin in Shepherds Bush and Portobello. It's more like wars between armies down there. And the coppers fight side by side with them. And there are foreigners of every description. And the use of bombs is the least of it. I have a child. Blessed with the Shelby good looks. And I know Tabitha will have one as well someday," Esme continued. "I want John to see him grow up. I want us to someday live somewhere with fresh air and trees. And keep chickens or something. But London is just smile and trouble, Thomas."

" ' Thomas'?" Polly questioned Esme.

"That's all I have to say."

"That was a lot of words. A lot of words," Arthur said nodding. Then he handed Thomas a glass of whiskey. "Wash them down with a nice drink."

"Thank you, Esme," Thomas said, downing the glass and setting it on the table. Then he spoke up. "Firstly, the bang in the pub had nothing to do with London. Understood? The bang is something I'm dealing with on my own. Secondly, we have nothing to fear from the processes business expansion so long as we stick together," he started. "After the first few weeks, nine-tenths of what we do in London will be legal. The other tenth is in good hands. Isn't that right, Arthur?"

"That's right," Arthur nodded.

"Some of you in this room have expressed your reservations. Fair enough. Any of you who want no part in the future of this company, walk out the door. Right now. Go raise your chickens."

The room was silent, and John kept looking at Esme. He stayed silent.

"For those of you with ambition, the expansion process begins tomorrow."

________________________________

THOMAS AND POLLY WENT INTO HER OFFICE WHEN THE MEETING ENDED.

Polly had gotten upset from something Thomas had said and then he left the house again. Arthur and Finn went to their rooms for the night, and John and Esme went to their home and tucked their children in bed.