Chapter 6: Soul Sisters

"I can't believe you told mama about meeting Dr Campbell papa! Do you know how long I got lectured for being so cruel to want to break up my own parents up?"

Mr Mokwena couldn't stop laughing making Lorato laugh unintentionally.

"Well, at least one of us finds this funny." She said, shaking her head.

"It was honestly so harmless. Plus, I think she was using that as an excuse to talk to you. She didn't think it was a big deal when we talked about it."

"Yeah right. Why would you even tell mama about her?"

"Well, if there's a piece of advice my mother told me before I married your mum that has kept our marriage alive, it's this; the devils loves secrets. He thrives on them. In a marriage, make sure you don't keep any secrets, no matter how small and insignificant you think they might be."

"Why? I'm pretty sure a little mystery never hurt anybody."

"Well, the moment you keep something from someone you love, you give that thing power to destroy your relationship. For example, say you're married and there's this new guy at work that you find awfully attractive. Nothing harmless, right? The moment you tell your husband about this 'really cute guy' at work, that little feeling you got at the pit of your stomach oftentimes fades away because we often get 'a high' from doing things we know we shouldn't be doing and nobody knowing about it."

"Yeah... you're kind of right."

"It's worked for me and a few friends, but hasn't worked for others. All I'm saying is there's some truth to it. I told your mother because I felt a little crush developing and decided to open up and burst that bubble before it grows, especially since I'm seeing her often."

"You are? For what?"

"Mentoring her son. I couldn't not offer after she helped you out for free."

"Aww, papa!" She hugged him. "You didn't have to, but thank you."

"You're my little girl." He kissed her forehead.

"I'm not so little anymore papa." She laughed, although his words make her swoon.

"To me, you'll always be my little girl."

They munched on the fruits Lorato packed for their picnic. Reconnecting with her father was so fulfilling, and it made her genuinely happy. They decided to go pass time at the mall, and her dad had pleasantly surprised her with a large smart tv for replace the one she had as decoration.

"Yoh papa!" Lola wiped away a stray tear as she looked at the engraved bracelet her father gifted her. "This is too much."

"This is just... to say thank you for giving me another chance at being a good father to you. I know I haven't been as close to you as I am with Katlego, but it does not mean I love you less. Over this past few months, I have come to regret not making time for you. I know more of you now than I've ever known in your 27 years. It's also an early birthday present."

"Thank you so much papa." She said as she took it out of the velvet box. "I love it. Thank you for today, and for many days like these that we have spent together. I admired you growing up, and now getting to personally know you,"

"You can't help but love me, neh?"

Lorato laughed.

"Exactly. I love you so much papa."

"I love you too ngwanaka."

Their food arrived and they ate, talking about their favourite foods and restaurants. Lorato was laughing so much; she realized then that spending time with her dad was more fun than the monthly get together she had with her friends.