The start of Junior year • 4

I woke up early to the sound of my alarm clock, just like every other day, except today I felt different. I actually felt happy today, a feeling I haven't felt over the past year, especially because of my parents divorce. But now that I'm pretty certain Mark is into me, I'm feeling confident. Today I decided to put more effort in my appearance, after all if I'm ever going to be known as Mark Anastasio's girlfriend I want to look good. Mark is quite known on tiktok - likewise Luca but he's my bestie - and if I'm ever posted on his account, I want everyone to remember me as glamorous rather than 'the girl who lived in sweats her whole time as a sophomore'. Plus today was the start of Junior year, I've got to look good!

Grabbing my makeup bag out of my drawer, I pulled out my moisturizer and began to rub it in while running over to my curlers and plugging them in. By the time I had done my face, my curling iron would be warm enough for me to run my hair through it. After I had moisturized I brushed on a bit of highlight, brushed through my perfectly shaped brows and curled my eyelashes. I then put on some mascara and a light bit of rose gold eye shadow. Next I cleaned my teeth then curled my hair. Finally, I finished the look off with some lip gloss.

Today I decided to wear a white strapless bandeau top, which was long enough to cover down to my bellybutton, and black ripped mom jeans. I put on some white ankle Nike socks and my white air force 1's. I was feeling pretty good about myself.

My mom called up from downstairs "Sophia, Luca's here." I frowned, taking my phone off charge to check the time, it was 7am. School doesn't start until 8.45am. I ran down the stairs to be greeted with some roses, I laughed "what's this all about?"

Luca handed me the flowers and explained how "it's our junior year, nearly the end of our high school experience, so I'm taking you out for breakfast," I smiled at him, in a confused way "plus my mom made me." he whispered.

"That makes sense." I laughed. I put a finger up, as if to say one minute be right back, he nodded. I ran into the living room and gave my mom the flowers. "Please can you take these, Luca and I are going out for breakfast before school." My mom looked confused, but nodded. "See you tonight honey!" she winked.  Luca was patiently waiting at the door for me, so I grabbed my lunch and threw it in my bag then finally walked back to Luca.

"See you later mom." I shut the door and followed Luca to the car, climbing in the passenger seat.

-

As we pulled up at the diner, Luca put his hand on mine as I went to unplug my seat belt. "I'm sorry for not spending much time with you lately." He smiled, apologetically. I moved my hand away from his and as I climbed out I simply replied, "that's okay. I just missed you, that's all."

"No need to be soppy with me, we're here together right now." he laughed. We walked into the diner and took a booth at the far back corner, it's our usual seat. I picked up the menu, even though I already knew what I wanted and so did the people that work here, we're regulars. The lady who had this shift is called Margret, an old family friend, she usually gives us our meals with a discount.

"Margret, hey, can we have the usual's please?" Luca called out to the large lady cleaning the table a few along from ours.

"Luca! Sophia! Hey, anything for you darl, be ready in fifteen." She gave us the biggest grin.

"So, soph, did you talk to Mark last night?" I blushed, then realized I hadn't checked if he'd messaged me this morning.

"Yes and what about it?" I laughed while looking down under the table subtly, I read a message from earlier this morning.

Mark <3 : Good morning beautiful :)

I smiled at the sight of those words, he's so thoughtful.

"So are you excited to spend the weekend with him?" I looked up from my phone and placed it back in my pocket, "yeah, are you excited to spend time with your so very lovely girlfriend?" I replied, with slight sarcasm. I despise that girl and I can't help but show it.

Luca shrugged, "guess so."

"Why you so down, I thought this girl meant everything to you?" I laughed, "awwww doesn't little Luca love Bianca?" Luca laughed, then looked up and his eyes went wide.

"What?" I asked, concerned.

"What was that bitch?" A high pitched squeaky voice asked me from behind. Great. I looked round to see Bianca stood behind me, I rolled my eyes and turned back towards Luca. He began to talk again then shouted, "Watch out-" But it was too late.

Bianca's milkshake was now all over my head, dripping down my face, laughs echoed as I got up and ran to the bathroom. I took rolls off toilet paper and rubbed the milkshake from my hair. I sat on the floor of the restroom, allowing my hair to dry out when there was a faint knock at the door. It's Luca's fault, he's with that psycho. Before I told him to go away, the doors burst open. Only it wasn't Luca, it was Mark.

"Hey I saw what happened out there! I can't believe Luca didn't even defend you." Mark seemed genuine and I couldn't help but smile by the way he seemed so worried for me.

"I'm okay, don't worry Mark, you should go back and eat your breakfast."

"Hey, no Soph my friends can wait. Come here," Mark begin to dab my hair with a fresh sheet of toilet roll "oh no, it's all over your shirt. Wait here one second I'll be back." Before I could question where he was going he ran out of the bathroom.

When Mark returned he had a rucksack with him, he began to pull out shirts "you can wear one of these, most are soccer shirts but they're the only spare ones I have. Maybe you could tie it up or tuck it in, make it look more fashionable." I laughed "Either way you'll pull it off." Mark stated.

"Thanks for the fashion advice," I said playfully, leaving him with a wide grin on his face. "seriously, thank you though, I can't imagine how embarrassing it would be to walk into school on my first day of junior year and look like a total mess." I rummaged through Mark's shirts and pulled out his gray soccer shirt, that had his name running along the back.

"Hey who said you're a total mess?" Mark asked "I think you look beautiful." I blushed, and held up his shirt "is this one okay?" I asked. Mark nodded, "I'll let you get changed quick, I'll just wait out here." He picked up his other shirts and stuffed them in his bag. I took off my bandeau top and threw Marks on, it smelt so good. I tucked in Mark's shirt into my black mom jeans and then pulled it out a little, so it overhung. It actually was quite a cute fit. My curls were now waves, and the top of my hair was pretty sticky so I put my hair up in a cute messy ponytail making sure to pull out strands either side of my head, which allowed everyone to see my small dangling diamond earrings that matched my necklace. I walked out of the restroom and stood in front of Mark. "How do I look?" I laughed, giving him a twirl so he could see my outfit.

"Great, really really great." He smiled. I pulled him into a quick hug, "thank you for saving me." I looked up at him, while he still held my waist. "You're so welcome." I pulled out of the hug and we walked back into the seating area, I waved at Mark. As he walked away, he spun round and shouted "at least your hair smells like strawberries now." and he gave me a little wink. I laughed and walked back to my seat, Luca had left the diner, I'm guessing with Bianca. So I guess that meant I was walking to school, luckily for me it's a short walk and I still had plenty of time to get there. I plugged in my headphones and left, I'd just have to grab a snack for breakfast from our vending machines in school.