Part 2: White Orchids

Minutes passed with her just like that, crying and wishing she could go to her mother. After a while, she stood up and wiped her tears. She knew that she had to go down. She could not let her father think that he had gotten the best of her.

She decided she would wear all-white in memory of her mother, and wear a white orchid in her hair. Her father had said that the theme was pink and reds for the ladies and classic black suits for the men. It was supposed to be classy.

It would be the tiny rebellion she would do that day, not follow the mere dress code her father had set. She sighed as she looked in the mirror, she wore on zero make-up except lip gloss since her lips would dry easily. She was never very fond of make-up and she could remember in her childhood, her mother telling her that she didn't want Violet to grow up wearing pounds of make-up.

Violet respected that wish of her mother. Her father wanted Violet to wear make-up just to spite his dead ex-wife. Of course, Violet refused her father's wishes and told him to go to hell.

She smiled at her reflection and took slow steps towards the door. She slowly opened it to see some maids staring at her. She quickly glared at them as she recognized them as the gossiping ones who had called her a dragon in comparison to Olivia's princess-like attitude.

The maids quickly looked down and headed back to their work, Violet smirked triumphantly. She made her way to the dining hall where her father was and so would be Charm, Olivia, and Olivia's boyfriend; Louis. Some other colleagues of Gabriel would be there too, only some.

It was apparent that they were waiting for Violet as when she entered, she was the centre of attention. Among the sea of women in pink and red gowns, she was wearing the white dress. She took her seat, beside her father yet across Charm.

"I thought I told you to wear pink or red, Violet." Gabriel gritted his teeth as his daughter took a seat beside him.

She scoffed, "Just be thankful I didn't wear black." she hissed, showing the guests the fakest smile she could put up.

Gabriel huffed, "If you're going to smile like that then just quit it. You're an embarrassment." he bellowed. He then stood up and held up his wine glass with a small spoon in his other. "Thank you for coming, ladies and gentleman." he started.

"Yes, thank you!" Charm beamed as she dumbly waved at the guests.

"Charm, honey, please don't talk." Gabriel ordered quietly and the ditzy girl obliged. "I would like to have a toast for my dear fiancé, Charm." he said as he gestured his wine glass over to her. "And to her daughter." he added, looking over to Olivia who shyly smiled.

Violet rolled her eyes, 'He's not going to toast for mom or me. That's just how disrespectful he is.' she thought.

"To Valentine's day!" Gabriel concluded, raising his wine glass and tapping the tiny spoon onto it.

The others repeated what he said and had cheers to one another. Violet had just cheers to the business partner of her father beside her and to no one else. She wanted to partake the least in this feast.

"Violet, I notice you're wearing white. Why so?" one of the wives of Gabriel's co-workers asked.

Violet gave a small smile, "It's also my—!" but Gabriel stopped her from continuing her statement any more.

"Weddings. Violet loves weddings and she wanted to wear white to reflect that." Gabriel answered for her.

The daughter glared at her father, 'Must he even disrespect my mother's memory that he acts like she never existed?' she angrily thought. She decided not to push any of her father's buttons for now and just continue eating the food. She took note that the food was one of Charm's said favorites. It was salisbury steak with its traditional gravy and mashed potatoes. What a classic. For dessert was a small bowl of crème brûlée and for drinks was a simple grape wine.