Chapter 28: Suits

Finally, Friday night. My cozy apartment welcomes me when I stumble through the door in the evening after the nightmare of a drive through what must have been the worst downpour of the century. There's no work until Sunday afternoon; I finished grading and submitted the latest chapter of my thesis on time, and Angie's away working all weekend. That means freedom. Freedom to complete my fun to-do list of making hot tea, reading a good book, and going to bed at a decent hour.

Coffee is for a jolt of energy in the morning, but the rest of the day it's tea. M collection of teas is something Angie teases me about. I let her. Some people buy fridge magnets or plates with a picture of the destination they visited—I get teas. If I ever have a big enough apartment, my dream is to have a closet just for tea. I brew my traditional loose tea in a glass teapot and watch the liquid turn from light to dark as the tea steeps.

My comfy PJs on, warming my hands on the steaming mug, I sit on the couch with Sue Grafton's "Y is for Yesterday" I've been trying to finish for over a month when my phone buzzes.

B: I am home.

No nightcap at Linda's then. A small smile creeps onto my lips.

Me: ... and? how did the dinner go?

B: Adequately.

That sounded like trouble in paradise. I should be upset.

Me: what happened?

B: She tried to kiss me.

OMG. OMG. OMG. He did get his first kiss.

Me: ..and?

B: And nothing. I leaned away from her.

Me: why? we talked about it. it's totally OK to kiss her at this point if you are both into it.

I stumble over my fingers as I type.

B: I wasn't into it. I will not be interested in kissing at this time.

At this time? I wipe off my sweaty palms on my PJs.

Me: you aren't interested in her anymore?

B: Not as a date.

Me: did anything bad happen?

B: No. We can talk more about it tomorrow.

Me: nope. no walk. the crazy rain continues tomorrow.

B: I have been thinking about it e, and I have an idea.

My heart beats a little faster, knowing he didn't want to skip Saturday morning time together.

Me: and what is it?

B: We should still exercise. Come here for a swim . After you can help me cook. I'm taking lunch to my parents.

I choke on the tea I'm sipping. It sprays out of my nose all over the open book on my lap. I reach for a napkin with one hand and type with my other hand while wiping up the mess.

Me:???

B: You said you like swimming, and you know I always cook lunch for my parents on Saturday. It will be our chance to discuss my dinner with Linda.

B: Then you come with me to visit my parents, Tall will be there too, and you mentioned you wanted to meet him.

Ben can be persuasive when he wants something. He has an answer for everything, and it's hard to argue against the fact he presented: I do love swimming, but we won't be able to talk about Linda while swimming, and meeting Tall's too much of a temptation to decline the invitation. Plus, to me, the fact he spent time concocting the plan means he cares.