xiv - 𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵

Comenzar desde el principio

"Rather sweet that you'd talk about your position here in such a way." He finalised, saving himself with a long sip of the whisky that both refreshed and soothed him.

Scoffing light heartedly, Verity knew it herself to play dumb. She knew what she meant. It wasn't exactly a secret about the level of animosity she had in the early stages for stubborn, selfish and egotistical Thomas Shelby. When he offered her a place at the club she denounced in quickly and never pictured herself ever working with the man after feeling he was pig-headed. But when things in her life took a turn – it seemed he was actually an angel in disguise.

"I know we got off to a rocky start but," Verity started, her twinkling eyes fixing on Tommy's, "I do actually very much like it here now. I feel I've settled in and ... I adore Scarlett so much." She confesses with a beaming smile. Tommy nodded in pleased acknowledgement, but it seemed Scarlett was not done.

"And... despite the things I had said to you in the early days..." she cleared her throat, "I really appreciate all you have done for me. Giving me the chance to take up a career here, making sure I was comfortable. Thank you." She said gratefully.

Tommy would be lying to himself if her gratitude didn't fill him with a large bout of smugness, yet all the same it softened him immensely and he wasn't sure how to receive the feeling. He'd always had an admiration, infatuation even (at points) with Verity – and after being convinced she loathed his very bones, he was both moved and incredibly surprised to hear her direct such warm thanks his way.

Yet behind it all was the truth of what had really happened.

What he'd done to her to get her to be under his thumb.

Tommy quickly brushed back the sudden nipping of guilt at his heels.

"Ah, well, it's not like this didn't have benefits for me as well." He distanced himself from the feeling, in typical Thomas fashion he couldn't say "you're welcome". He had to keep up that distant and egotistical reputation.

Verity raised her brows in agreement and took another healthy sip of the overpowering gin, sitting up tall in her seat as Tommy observed the smallest of her gestures. She was still so stunning to him and he was very aware of the fact she was still so far out of his reach.

"You've not been to the club in a couple of weeks prior to the other day," Verity started, "what are you doing otherwise?" She said with an interested tone.

Tommy sighed thinking about it – work. And all the recent strains it had been putting on him. The biggest, most tiresome strain of all came in the form of his cousin, Michael Gray.

"Just the general overseeing of the Shelby Company." Tommy decided to keep it brief, "monitoring the gin export overseas... trying to reason with a boy who thinks he knows everything now he's got a fucking wife."

Verity very quickly sensed the bitterness in Tommy's tones, she hadn't ever heard him speak much about his family or any other aspects of the business so ... this was a step in the right direction.

"Who's this?" She asked softly, audibly but softly swallowing some gin, her twinkling silver dress shimmering under the fee dimly lit lights in the expansive room.

Lifting his concentrated gaze, Tommy realised his whole body was tensed at the thought of the threat of his cousin – the feeling of losing himself completely was mounting up again.