xiv - 𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵

Start from the beginning

Bringing his amber glass of whisky to his lips, Tommy cocked his head with a crass curiousness. Verity knew that look, and narrowed her eyes.

"Think so?" Was all he said, smacking his lips together after savouring they taste of the alcoholic beverage. His blue eyes fell down to the floor behind the bar as he appeared to be busying about with glasses beneath the shelf of the bar top.

"What was your little chat with Eli about?" Tommy asked, clearing his throat. The mental image of the Northerner's hand on her hip was burned hot into his brain – like a branded cow.

"The pair of you looked rather cozy."

Before Verity could bite back at him for trying to stir the pot, Tommy thunked a glass down on the oak bar in front of her. A quick sniff of the drink identified it as a gin and tonic – and judging by the taste it was 99% gin and 1% tonic.

Considering Tommy wanted to act like a petty child, Verity rather felt she would need this drink. She'd gone from a pretty miss ready for the party to a dishevelled damsel of some kind – styled hair falling out of place, untamed locks of brunette falling into her face. She was looking about as fed up of the night as she felt.

"Did you see my hands on him?" She bit back, swallowing a mouthful of the petrol-strength drink. Her hazel eyes stared back at Tommy's own blue ones with a burning defiance. "No."

"What was he saying then to have you listening to intently?" Tommy then offered, hiding his secret smile at the fact he'd managed to wind her up a little.

This was where Verity wondered whether she should go down this road or just write this off for the night and go to sleep in the dressing room.

The whispering reminder in her head told her she couldn't expect to get anywhere with Tommy opening up if she didn't do so with him. She had to share what she knew.

Wetting her lower lip with her tongue, Verity's eyes shot down for a moment as she tapped her nails on the bar.

"He was just asking about me ... potentially going to his club." She started, her eyes daring to flicker up to see Tommy's reaction. "He just talked about it like it was to be payment for him helping Arthur out." She then said, looking Up now and almost finding pure frustration at how little Tommy let his expressions range.

"I assure you I wouldn't go there out of choice." Verity added, which was the honest truth. Mainly because she was settled here now. She was treated with a level of respect and had met the most wonderful best friend ever. Not to mention Tommy himself had not been too awkward as of late – as aforementioned, he would often call in to make sure things were adequate when Arthur was busy pouring all his focus on Scarlett.

The white noise in the club could be heard for a few seconds, before Tommy cracked a smile chuff of amusement, something that surprised Verity.

"Something the matter?" She asked, a small smile at the corner of her mouth. Her question was met with Tommy shaking his hand nonchalantly, but still hiding the faintest traces of that smile.

"No," he started, biting his lip as if to diminish all existence of his former grin, "I just found it rather..." he paused, running his sky blue gaze over Verity who was looking at him with nothing but intent, her delicate right hand wrapped around her gin glass – beautiful hazel eyes peering over the rim as pretty as the sunrise over a new horizon. He thought carefully about where his words would lead him ... how they might betray him.