Chapter 22

Sean's wolf^

~~~Jaxson's POV~~~

Ash had left about two hours ago. Ember was sleeping peacefully in my arms as Sean and I talked quietly. To say I'm worried is an understatement. Ash has been through a lot too and has seen the memories of many people. For him to look so shocked and sick worried me. That feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach wouldn't go away.

Sean was worried as well. He could feel Ashton's emotions rolling out of the mate bond. Hopelessness, disgust, anger, loneliness, and sadness. Then a few minutes ago, determination.

Our heads snapped up towards the door as we heard footsteps approaching. Sean jumped up just as the door opened to reveal a panting and sweaty looking Ash. Sean rushed forward, cupping his mate's cheeks as he searched his body for injuries. Finding none he placed a chaste kiss on Ash's lips and hugged him close.

A brief flicker of jealousy lit through my body watching their moment. I want that with Ember. Not just to have it but to also know that I will never lose it. To know that she is mine for life. I will never force her to mate me. If, after all this she still doesn't want to be together, I will accept it. That doesn't mean I will leave her, no, I just won't mark her. She will never be rid of me no matter what she thinks.

"So, first things first." Ash's eyes flickered with anger. "I know who the traitor is."

We were shocked. Ash went on to explain who it was and how he knew. He didn't say much as he said it was Ember's story to tell. We developed a plan to bring him down. Rather two plans since one of them depended on Ember returning with us. For now, Sean will keep any future plans just between us three until the day of execution.

Ash turned to look at Ember who was still lying in bed wrapped in her blanket. His eyes saddened as he watched her.

"It's worse than I ever thought guys. I don't want to encroach on her privacy any more than I already have but I will tell you, I have no idea how that girl even gets out of bed in the mornings." We looked at each other and my stomach dropped at the realization that I could have lost her before I ever found her. Her strength never ceases to amaze me.

"I do think that both you and Sean can help in getting her through this. It will be tough, even tougher if she chooses not to accept our help." Ash turned to face me.

"Jax, I understand why she is so hesitant. I remember what happened when Sean saw my memories when he marked me, and I didn't go through half of what she did. You cannot blow up after seeing it. You need to remain calm so you can be present for her. She's afraid of what you will think and how you will feel." My heart sank even further. God I just need to know what she went through. I want to help her. She means everything to me and to watch her suffer from these panic attacks and night terrors is killing me. I haven't even known her a week! To think she goes through this every day for years.

"Sean, you can help too. I think if she realizes that a mate can see someone's past and not fly off the deep end, it will help her. Once I show her my past it might help her understand a little bit better. We need to show her that regardless of what happened in the past and what happens in the future, she will always have friends who care for her, maybe then she won't be so afraid of taking this on." Sean nodded his head, understanding what his job would be.

"One more thing. Try and keep under wraps what just happened until I tell her. I invaded her privacy without her permission, and I don't take that lightly." We all nod knowing the implications of what Ash said.

The next morning, we all awoke, surprisingly, before Ember. She hadn't had any more terrors and slept through the night.

We all turned to her as she groaned and started sitting up. She grimaced as she stretched before blinking her eyes open. She started in slight shock when she saw us watching her.

"What?" She stood up and walked toward us, eyebrow raised. She had a slight gimp in her step, and she had to stop and stretch out her back for a moment.

"You ok, Em?" I knew what was wrong. I felt the same last night.

"Yeah. Back just hurts." She shrugged and walked outside. We all glanced at each other knowing the next few days would be a challenge.

Ember returned while Sean and I were discussing pack matters. Ash had a faraway look in his eyes as he stared at her. I don't think he was even aware.

"What is wrong with you?" Ember growled as she stared at Ash whose eyes were still glued on her.

Shit. He is blowing it.

'Ash!' I tried to reach his mind. He blinked quickly as he came to.

"Huh?" Ember rolled her eyes at him.

"You wouldn't stop staring at me. Why do you have that look on your face?" She was angry.

"What look?" Ash's blue eyes widened. "This is just my face." He gestured to himself. Another look flickered in his eyes. Brief, but there all the same. Ember's eyes narrowed further as she caught it.

"No. I've seen that look before. You are pitying me. Why?" She glared at him, daring him to say something.

Shit. She's too smart for us. She knows it goes deeper than just the scars I have told them about.

"Why? Tell me!" Ember ground out.

'Just tell her Ash.'