Chapter 10: A Shattered Identity

"White, this doesn't feel right," Blue whispered, her voice not daring to go any louder as the taller gem already seemed frustrated enough. This was the second time in 6,000 years Blue and Yellow had been allowed an audience with White, and Blue wasn't about to squander it.

"I know," White said. She waved Blue off and didn't even look at her. Her gaze was fixed skyward; all of her attention was on the organic back on Earth. "She's a Diamond. I shouldn't use my power on her like this. But what would you have me do, Blue? Lock her in the tower, only for you to cave and let her out?"

Blue retreated as if she had been slapped.

"Now White," Yellow intervened, her hand now resting on Blue's shoulder. "We know that Pink's always been a bit off...well, a bit of a problem, but this?"

"That's funny," White hissed. She suddenly looked down and regarded the slow Diamonds in front of her coolly. "It sounds like you don't want our Pink back."

"We do!" Yellow quickly said, her voice higher than normal. She cleared her throat when White raised an eyebrow at her. "After 6,000 years, all we want is for our family to be whole again."

"Which is what I am doing, Yellow," White said. "I am making us whole."

Blue took a breath and put her hand over her gemstone before she regarded White with soft eyes. "White, this doesn't feel right," she said again. "I don't feel whole and I know you don't either. That's why you're trying so hard, but don't you think that this is too much?"

"No," White answered curtly. "I don't."

Yellow swallowed once and then nodded. "I agree," she said and took her hand off Blue's shoulder. "If Pink wants to play her little game, then let her. But why give her back her colony? Why reward her?"

Blue stepped away from Yellow, a look of disgust on her face, though she didn't speak.

"Is it a reward?" White asked, a small smile now on her lips. "To see everything she loves die at her hands?"

"It's a lesson, then!" Yellow said. She clapped her hands together, a look of amusement on her face, but it didn't fully reach her eyes.

"A horrible one," Blue interjected. "Doing something like this, it will just make her run off again!"

Yellow's face dropped and she glanced fearfully between White and Blue.

"Do you really think I'd let her do that?" White asked, her tone had a bite underneath it, like she was daring Blue to speak out of line.

"No, but," Blue said, her head dropping. "What will you do with her?"

White pursed her lips. "She will remain with me until she learns how to behave like a Diamond."

"With you?" Yellow asked, both confusion and jealousy barely hidden in her tone. "After everything she's done, after all of her mistakes, she gets to complete her colony and live out every gem's dream of learning from you?"

White nodded. "It's not Pink's dream," she said simply. "But it must be done."

Yellow lowered her head in submission and nodded. Blue followed suit, though it was clear she still had her doubts.

"Our Pink will be back with us soon enough," White told them, gently. "Once communication has been established on Earth, I want you both to talk with her. Help remind her who she is without the organic attached her to. Do whatever you can to get her back. Am I understood?"

Blue and Yellow both nodded.

"Good," White said with a smile. "Now, leave me. I have Pink's mess to clean up."